banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best neck pickup for fluid high-gain lead ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best neck pickup for fluid high-gain lead ??

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
    How do you think the Liquifire might sound?
    Very fluid as OP asked - like a liquid...but hot like fire

It sounds like early Dream Theater to me. I like it more than the Air Norton I replaced. AN was good but slightly underpowered and thick. Liquifire fixes this. Cleans are meh though.

Comment

I think know if the target guitar is 24 or 22 frets can help. I can see lots of shredders may like one pickup in 24 fret guitars but the extra depth of a 22 fret neck could make it too dark/muddy maybe? Remember the close to the neck there is some extra bass picked by the pickup.
      Who took my guitar?

Comment

The neck Black Winter has some really great soloing tones, too. It does the 'fluid high gain lead' thing really well.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          The neck Black Winter has some really great soloing tones, too. It does the 'fluid high gain lead' thing really well.
          Seconding this. The BW neck is excellent all-around, and especially under high gain.

Comment

The liquifier and sentient pickups are great for this. The sentient seems more versatile to me. I’m awestruck by the black winter neck. It does a great singing lead sound and is surprisingly versatile too.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtomecha View Post
              The liquifier and sentient pickups are great for this. The sentient seems more versatile to me. I’m awestruck by the black winter neck. It does a great singing lead sound and is surprisingly versatile too.

I would like to try the BW but I never use black colored pickups.

I'm sure it's good. The thing is...the liquifire may be less versatile but that's because it is built to do one thing: give liquid leads.

I have 4 guitars. My old-school petrucci-inspired RG does his stuff quite well. The other guitars handle the versatility.

Comment

Originally posted by Nagisa View Post
                I would like to try the BW but I never use black colored pickups.
                Shop floor custom easily solves the bobbin color. Also, look around online, I have seen dealers who keep different color shop floor custom Black Winters stock, so you don't even have to wait for it.

Comment

Yeah, bobbin colors are something that can absolutely be changed with the Shop Floor Custom options.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    Well, if you are talking about boosted Marshall (not modern metal) gain levels, I love the Alnico II Pro, which is about as buttery as you can get. It sounds great until you hit it with super gain, which tends to get mushy. But up until that point it is magical.
                    Agreed 100%. When describing the neck sound as fluid, I also think buttery. Nothing better than an A2 based pickup. The A5 would be the least buttery.

Comment

No Screamin Demon mention yet? Have I taught you nothing?!

Also doesn’t appear the OP has been back for comment, or to clarify 22-24 frets?

Comment

Well, no neck pickups sound good to me with 24 frets.

Comment

Jazz Bridge Model in the neck.

Comment

Working...
                          X