Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marshall SV20H vs SC20H vs DSL20HR vs 2525H

Hey everyone,

I've been wanting to do this shootout for quite a while now so I'm super stoked to be sharing this with you guys. I'm a Marshall amp fan and I really love the 20 watt heads. That's why I have 4 of them. I have the following models:

-SV20H Studio Vintage 1959 SLP
    -SC20H Studio Classic JCM 800
    -2525H Silver Jubilee Studio (limited edition in split vinyl)
    -DSL20HR

They each do their jobs very well and they are a joy to play through. The SV20H offers that classic Plexi sound and I really like how versatile the amp actually is with the jumper options etc. It took me a little while to nail how to work this amp because dialing in the EQ can be different from other amps, in my experience.

The SC20H has more bite and a bit more low-end than the SV20H. It really has that Marshall JCM800 bite and grind. With this one I like how you can dial in the thickness and body with the preamp gain and volume control of the guitar. Nice and sparkly overall.

The 2525H is perhaps a more versatile and differently voiced version of a JCM800. It certainly has more gain than the other 2 and the overall EQ character is unique. The dual channel option and pull rhythm clip add a LOT to the tonal versatility of the amp. I can recommend this one to anyone who wants something that 'does it all'.

The DSL20HR is more affordable than the other ones and it's also the amp with the most modern, saturated and 'fizzy' (not in a bad way) sound. It has less of that upper-mid push than the others and the amp has more gain and sag overall. I still think it sounds pretty great in the mix! Just different.

Anyway, here's the comparion. I would love to know your thoughts!

Owner and founder of Sonic Drive Studio & social media manager for OwnHammer.

Facebook.com/sonicdrivestudio
    OwnHammer.com

Re: Marshall SV20H vs SC20H vs DSL20HR vs 2525H

No Origin 20H?
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
      No Origin 20H?
      I actually briefly had one but I didn't like it so I returned it

OwnHammer.com

Comment

2525 nuff said
        1994 Ibanez IC500 Iceman reissue
        Jackson Soloist 7 string
        ESP LTD M-400
        Original Marshall Silver Jubilee 2553

Comment

I seem to prefer the SV.
          I think I took a wrong turn in Albuquerque...

Comment

I love my 2525H, but I may be biased by having had a 2555 for 16 years prior to that acquisition...

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I love my DSL20HR. Haven't tried the other 3.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
              -Greg

Guitars:
              2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
              2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
              2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
              Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

I notice that you use G12M IRs throughout. This is, of course, the way to compare apples to apples as much as possible. However, the 800 was originally voiced around the G12-65, and the Jubilees were voiced around the Marshall G12 Vintage. Not that they sounded bad. They still sounded great. It would be interesting to see how they sounded through those, in addition. Of course G12M response is the legacy for a plexi, and in my opinion the DSL amps sound great through them as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
                  I notice that you use G12M IRs throughout. This is, of course, the way to compare apples to apples as much as possible. However, the 800 was originally voiced around the G12-65, and the Jubilees were voiced around the Marshall G12 Vintage. Not that they sounded bad. They still sounded great. It would be interesting to see how they sounded through those, in addition. Of course G12M response is the legacy for a plexi, and in my opinion the DSL amps sound great through them as well.
                  Were the 2203/2204 re-voiced around those speakers for the JCM800 series? AFAIK those speakers weren't yet available when the 2203/2204 mkII circuit was released in '77 (or maybe late '76). As much as those original amps varied, I couldn't say if the schematics changed that much over the years, or if it was just natural variance between amps.
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I liked the DSL20HL best...

Slightly less refined than a couple of the others maybe, but more ballsy/in your face sounding.

Nice comparison
                    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
                      I just chose to stick with the same cabs for each part so that the comparison is more honest. I do prefer switching out speakers and cabs myself but for these comparisons it's not the most 'scientific' approach. I'm planning on doing more videos with these amps though so we'll see what happens...

OwnHammer.com

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                        Were the 2203/2204 re-voiced around those speakers for the JCM800 series? AFAIK those speakers weren't yet available when the 2203/2204 mkII circuit was released in '77 (or maybe late '76). As much as those original amps varied, I couldn't say if the schematics changed that much over the years, or if it was just natural variance between amps.
                        That's a good point. It might be better to look at it as the G12-65 may have been voiced to those amps which are usually very bright. But that may not be correct either, as there were about 40 different versions of the G12-65 used over four years. One thing, though, the 2203 and most G12-65s make a good match.

Comment

Tough call between the SV and the SC for me... the SV has that crunch, but I like the balls of the SC.

Now, push the MV of the SC up to 8 or so, that's where the real magic happens ;-)

Comment

Well good morning Vietnam! I like the dsl best on it's own. With the right boost maybe the 800 would win for me.

Comment

Great video! I liked the SC20H the best. It sounded simultaneously balanced, fat and clear. I was surprised how much I didn't like the SV20H. The other two were a bit of a toss up: the 2525H was a bit too biting, and the DSL20 was a bit scooped sounding with too much bass.

It's a shame the smaller DSLs don't have the classic crunch channel like the DSL40 and up. It's a great channel and I'm curious how it compares to the SC20H.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X