guitar construction - CTS Push/pull pots - not a wiring question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guitar construction - CTS Push/pull pots - not a wiring question

I'm building a very thin electric on an Epiphone Coronet (like the Wilshire - not the hollow body) body line. I'd like to use push/pull pots and CTS has the shortest push/pull design I've found. Happily, they just barely fit the control cavity (height wise)...if...

The pots feature small "ears" that curl upward at the ends on the top of the pots. I can't decide (or find info on) if these are to space the pot away from the control cavity body or meant to secure it by pushing in. I'm hoping its the latter because this would give me about a 1/16" clearance between the pot bottom and the control cavity cover. I've never used these pots before so I'm flying a bit blind. Since the cavity is shielded (StewMac paint, not copper), I want to make sure I'm not grounding something that shouldn't be grounded.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: guitar construction - CTS Push/pull pots - not a wiring question

You mean the little metal tab as shown just above the threads on the pot in this picture?

Should be no problem at all to break it off with some pliers. I always break them off.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Brilliant! I've got a bunch of pots (mini/standard and multiple brands) lying about but none had this config...and then these arrived. If you're clipping them though and mounting the pots flush (or flush with a washer that is conductive) then this should be fine.

Thanks.

PS: Thought about the possibility of uploading a picture only about an hour after I posted. Glad you thought of it!

Comment

In some industrial applications I have seen a small pilot hole beside the one for the pot stem .
        This tab prevents the pot from spinning on the hole.
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I used to drill a small hole for the tab to go into to keep the pot from turning but found that it was totally unnecessary. Now I just cut or break them off as GuitarStv suggested.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Yeah, I've always just snapped it right off. It comes off easily.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If mounting in sheet metal
              Keep the tab

They bite good enough into wood and plastic
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Yep, anti-rotation for more industrial applications. Some small pedal builders used to drill for them too, it looked kind of goofy.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

guitar construction - CTS Push/pull pots - not a wiring question

I thought it was a standoff to keep the lugs from contacting any shield, but stopping spin makes more sense.

Comment

Working...
                  X