13k with Alnico 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13k with Alnico 8

saw someone playing an Arcane Inc The 13 pickup. It has an Alnico 8 and 13k. What are my alternatives from Seymor or other brands. I am looking of a rock and more modern sound that cleans un the bottom end of my les paul's burst bucker. Thanks

Re: 13k with Alnico 8

I believe the closest might be a Alternative 8.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The Alt 8 is a little higher than 13k (about 17k), but the Custom at about 14k with an A8 mag would be very close and would do what he wants. The C8 is a really great versatile pup that can do just about anything. Does modern and cleans up very well with just the guitar's vol.
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Yeah, I had originally wrote out the Custom 8, but that does require a magnet swap. I know not everyone is comfortable with that (though it is easy).
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

If you're willing to pay custom shop prices, there's always the Crazy 8. https://customshop.seymourduncan.com/crazy-8/
          Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Perpetual Burn is right around 13K - that one might be an option as well.
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Thanks for the ideas. I may have just latched onto these specs randomly. I like the way the Arcane Inc 13 is described as both vintage and modern. I am really looking for a pickup to play hardcore with a little metal. My les paul burst buckers may be too loose or ?muddy in the bass. I currently play a 5150 iii. Any other suggestions are welcome.

Comment

Yeah, I think a Custom 8 is what you’re looking for.

Comment

I'll add to the several votes for Custom 8, if you are willing to try out the magnet swap yourself. You won't be disappointed.

I got both my JB/C8 hybrid and Custom 8 from the trading post here so I never had to swap myself [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
                  • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                  • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                  • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                  • G&L Tribute Comanche
                  • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                  • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                  • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

the arcane description says something about custom polepieces and maybe they use metal part with different carbon content.
                    COuld be just marketing talk but we don't know that.
                    So they might sound quite different only based on this.
                    and how different a wind (or pickup) can sound with just the same DCR reading is demonstrated by many PAF clones

that said, regarding Duncan products the old SH-7 or now SH-6n might even be a better choice than the C8. never tried a A8 in it though, which demands thinner spacers.

Comment

The A8 magnet is exactly the same size as an A5, why would it "demand thinner spacers"?

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                        The A8 magnet is exactly the same size as an A5, why would it "demand thinner spacers"?
                        The SH-6N (formerly known as the SH-7) uses a double thick ceramic, so switching to any regular size bar mag will require thinner spacers.

I put a double thick A8 in an SH-6N but it's still in neck position. A8 sweetened the highs a bit and I think may have made it feel a hair looser, though that might just be my perception. Still pretty big modern sound and feel though.

I also have an old SH-7 Seymourizer which now sports a double thick A5. Haven't decided yet which guitar to try it in so I can't comment on the tone. In bridge position with its original ceramic the pickup was bright, tight and aggressive.
                        "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I have a custom with an A8 in my esp and love it.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
                            The SH-6N (formerly known as the SH-7) uses a double thick ceramic, so switching to any regular size bar mag will require thinner spacers.

I put a double thick A8 in an SH-6N but it's still in neck position. A8 sweetened the highs a bit and I think may have made it feel a hair looser, though that might just be my perception. Still pretty big modern sound and feel though.

I also have an old SH-7 Seymourizer which now sports a double thick A5. Haven't decided yet which guitar to try it in so I can't comment on the tone. In bridge position with its original ceramic the pickup was bright, tight and aggressive.
                            Oh, I thought you were talking about putting an A8 in a Custom. Why would you even suggest getting a SH-6n and putting an A8 with thinner spacers (or a double thick A8 would be a better solution) when he can get the sound he's after with a C8 which is better sounding and more versatile in the first place?

Comment

Originally posted by redsparkleLP View Post
                              saw someone playing an Arcane Inc The 13 pickup. It has an Alnico 8 and 13k. What are my alternatives from Seymor or other brands.
                              OG El Diablo from the Custom Shop

Comment

Working...
                              X