Can anyone help me identify this tube?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone help me identify this tube?

There are these. Sino branded but Chinese nonetheless.
    I’ve used their EL34 tubes quite a bit and like them a lot.

The Sino 6L6WGS employs black plates built on a short bottle which result is a tube with higher plate dissipation and a richer, more saturated tone.
    Last edited by Gtrjunior; 06-21-2020, 10:06 AM.

Comment

Re: Can anyone help me identify this tube?

Originally posted by chillytouch View Post
      Yeah Sweetwater shipped me a replacement quartet free of charge, but they're not the stock tubes. They're 6l6s, but not same type. That's really all I was wondering. I don't really care either way I'm sure they're similar, but I just was trying to find out why it was such a difficult feat to find the "Shuguang 6l6" tubes the item description comes with on retailer/evh sites. According to sweetwater the Groove Tube 6l6 CHP (Chinese high power) tubes are probably out of the shuguang factory which makes sense, but you can only buy the medium rated version (groove tubes rates it 4-7), whereas the ones that came out of my amp were 8. Don't get me wrong, I'm diving SO deep into this and I don't really care, I just more care because I don't understand why it's so hard to just get the same exact stock tube.
      "high gain" is coming from your preamp which the EVH amps have like 8 preamp slots so you're not missing anything gain wise. And your going to be better off with Russian power tubes than Chinese IMO. The bigger question is why did the original power tube fail and did it take out any components. Without doing a test on the bad tube its hard to rule out if its a tube or something else.

Comment

Thanks for all the info guys.

I actually contacted both EVH and Fender and funny enough neither of them could actually give me the exact stock tube model (although I did appreciate their speedy response, less than 12 hours for both).

They just gave a recommendation on what to buy as replacements.

As far as I can tell, I THINK the stock tubes are 6l6 CHP "high power" (8-10 rating), which you can't get anywhere. The only ones you can get are 6l6 CHP medium (4-7). I doubt it really makes much of a difference, but that's what i got as a backup set. I think it's the closest I'll ever get to the stock tubes.

And oh yeah for sure I'm not going to turn this thing on until all tubes are square.
        The GT 6L6 CHP is GT's attempt to replicate the RCA blackplate 6L6 tubes, they had it made in the Shuguang factory like other of their in-house designed tubes. Should be decent tubes, TAD has a similar 6L6. I don't know why they couldn't supply you with the higher rating set, usually the medium rating 4-7 sets seem to be what come in the amps. I think that "high power" thing just means they are rated in the high rating range, meaning they will break up later than a lower rated set.
        What you got should be fine.
        Al

Comment

Originally posted by Zombiwoof View Post
          The GT 6L6 CHP is GT's attempt to replicate the RCA blackplate 6L6 tubes, they had it made in the Shuguang factory like other of their in-house designed tubes. Should be decent tubes, TAD has a similar 6L6. I don't know why they couldn't supply you with the higher rating set, usually the medium rating 4-7 sets seem to be what come in the amps. I think that "high power" thing just means they are rated in the high rating range, meaning they will break up later than a lower rated set.
          What you got should be fine.
          Al
          Thanks Al, this is exactly what I was wondering. And yeah I have no idea why the 8-10 rating aren't for sale anymore

Glad to know what I got should be good. Thanks!

Comment

You're going to have to have the amp biased with the new power tubes by a qualified tech unless you know what you're doing.
            I get the impression you don't know how to bias an amp.
            And its not for beginners.

And if you're doing it yourself you wanna keep an eye on the quad especially the socket that had the bad tube for redplating or any other anomalies when you power up the amp being ready to shut it off if you have problems.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
              You're going to have to have the amp biased with the new power tubes by a qualified tech unless you know what you're doing.

And if you're doing it yourself you wanna keep an eye on the quad especially the socket that had the bad tube for redplating or any other anomalies when you power up the amp being ready to shut it off if you have problems.
              I'm going to see if the tech will show me. The stealth has the bias probes/control on the back I believe so you don't actually need to open up the chassis, so maybe he can show me how to do it on my amp since it seems like the risk of electric shock would be less since I don't need to actually open it up. But, that's just guessing. Feels bad though, get it, play for 1 second and realize there's an issue and then have to leave it at a tech for 3 weeks to get it biased, great.

Comment

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

That amp has external bias points, so it shouldn't be super difficult to bias if the OP has a decent multi-meter. It'll definitely be a lot more safe than biasing a typical tube amp.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                  That amp has external bias points, so it shouldn't be super difficult to bias if the OP has a decent multi-meter. It'll definitely be a lot more safe than biasing a typical tube amp.
                  Yeah, I will call my tech, but at the very least maybe I can at least use the external bias point to check what it is when I swap out the tubes.

Comment

Yeah, I will call my tech, but at the very least maybe I can at least use the external bias point to check what it is when I swap out the tubes.
                    You could search a YouTube vid. I’m sure there is a tutorial out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                      You could search a YouTube vid. I’m sure there is a tutorial out there.
                      Yeah, I think I could actually bias it myself with the external points after all the research I did last night.

The only 2 questions I have left which I guess I could ask a tech are:

#1 theres only 1 external bias point (1 positive, 1 negative terminal, and the pot), but there's 4 tubes, all the videos I searched had a positive terminal for each tube. Will mine read a total of all 4 tubes, or just a random single tube in the lineup?

#2 What i should be biasing it to. I don't have the service manual so idk what the 100s is supposed to be stock. I saw a few people online saying stock was biased at anywhere from 25-30 and then people wanted them hotter. I want it stock or on the colder side, so maybe i go for 25-28.

Comment

Yeah, I think I could actually bias it myself with the external points after all the research I did last night.

#1 theres only 1 external bias point (1 positive, 1 negative terminal, and the pot), but there's 4 tubes, all the videos I searched had a positive terminal for each tube. Will mine read a total of all 4 tubes, or just a random single tube in the lineup?

#2 What i should be biasing it to. I don't have the service manual so idk what the 100s is supposed to be stock. I saw a few people online saying stock was biased at anywhere from 25-30 and then people wanted them hotter. I want it stock or on the colder side, so maybe i go for 25-28.
                        So I’m not 100% familiar with your particular amp but amps that have only 1 bias pot would typically have the bias set at an “average” for all tube. Unless there are separate pots for each tube there is no way to set the bias individually.

There is a formula you need in order to set the bias.
                        You need to determine the plate voltage, then use the formula to determine what your bias setting should be.

Comment

Bias is set in relation to plate dissapation & plate voltage [realtime], not some random number. The "bias terminal" on your amp is likely connected to just one power socket via a resistor therefore you would be measuring millivolts as opposed to milliamps.
                          Most 100 watt amps with bias points have them hooked in pairs.
                          And you really need to know the current draw of each power tube and also bias in pairs with an accurate "bias probe'.
                          Like i said its not an entry level kinda thing.
                          And you can wing it but there's a price to pay for that & you can expect more blown tubes & costly repairs.
                          Like i also said you have no idea why it blew a tube in the first place.
                          Tube failure is but a symptom of a larger problem.
                          You don't even know if it was properly biased in the first place.
                          You don't even know if you have melted grid resistors or other burnt up components.
                          If it arched and has carbon all over the board carbon is conductive and thats a clusterfeck waiting to happen.
                          Did your amp blow an HT fuse ?
                          If it did was the fuse replaced with the correct value replacement ?
                          Experience matters working on Electronics just like anything else in life.
                          Last edited by JMP/HBE; 06-22-2020, 09:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X