10 string acoustics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10 string acoustics

I've been looking at 10 string accoustic, other than the Michael Kelly Triad 10E, are there any other decent models of 10 strings?

I'd also be willing to consider taking one of the E and As off a 12 string, but I'd prefer a 10 string.
    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
    Whilst you can only wonder why

Re: 10 string acoustics

For some reason, I was thinking of 10 distinct strings...what a range that would have!
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I just happened to see one of those Michael Kelly's for sale around here the other day.

Comment

6 plus the highest 4 in 12 str mode like a Bich 10?
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
          6 plus the highest 4 in 12 str mode like a Bich 10?
          Yeah. I don't think they exist, but optimally I'd want a seven string accoustic with the highest four doubled up.
          You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            For some reason, I was thinking of 10 distinct strings...what a range that would have!
            Keith Richards has a custom made 10 string. It's in open G.
            -
            My Rolling Stones tribute band: The Main Street Exiles

At the battle of the bands, the loser is always the audience. -Demitri Martin

Comment

Someone makes them, I remember seeing them somewhere. Veillette-Citron maybe?
              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Wasn't there a 7 string Roger McGuinn model Martin guitar that was a regular 6 string with an octave up G string added?

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  Wasn't there a 7 string Roger McGuinn model Martin guitar that was a regular 6 string with an octave up G string added?
                  I think I remember something like that.

I might end up just custom ordering one once the quarentine blows over. I've recently been experimenting with 7 and 12 string acoustics, and an 11 string seems like the best "compromise" for my playing style. That extra low B is extremely useful for finger style and the doubled up strings add more dimension to the sound, which is helpful for when you don’t have any accompanying instruments.

Any recommendations for who I should get to make this for me? I've got a couple local guys I could talk to, but they really focus on higher end guitars that are works of art in themselves, where as I'm more looking for a mid-priced workhorse.

Comment

Godin made an 11 string that you can tune any way you want. Thing is, it is fretless.

Click image for larger version

Name:	godin.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	5820883

Comment

...hmm that's a cool guitar and I've been meaning to try a fretless accoustic at some point. That would make it a bit tough for chording, so I'd have to try one out first to see if I'd like it.

Comment

Working...
                      X