THE MUTINEERS -- prog original from 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE MUTINEERS -- prog original from 2015

I've not listened to this song in years but I still like the arrangement, though I would mix it TOTALLY different today! It's an interesting song, goes through some cool mood changes.

This is taken from my 2015 album based on the Edgar Allan Poe novel The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket, a pretty muddled story but it has some great elements and was very influential in its time. Coupled with Poe's penchant for rather brutal violence, it has a few moments that can even make a modern reader take notice, once you unpack his dense prose.

The gang vocals were tracked with a friend's band who had a rehearsal space in Williamsburg Brooklyn. We just got a bottle of Bulleit and shouted our brains out for 2 hours, was loads of fun.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: THE MUTINEERS -- prog original from 2015

I like that one a lot. The guitar tones are gorgeous, and the bass is just the right amount of funky.

Nice job.
    Last edited by Bronze Buzzard; 06-20-2020, 01:23 PM.
    I think I took a wrong turn in Albuquerque...

Comment

Thanks, BB!

Comment

I need to pick your brain one day soon. I have to know how your guitar tones sit better in the mix, and aren't so in your face like mine.

I can get separation, and everything has its place, but mine never seems to smooth out like yours do, if that makes sense?

Pretty sure it's in the mix, but I'd love to see your process some day.
        I think I took a wrong turn in Albuquerque...

Comment

Originally posted by Bronze Buzzard View Post
          I need to pick your brain one day soon. I have to know how your guitar tones sit better in the mix, and aren't so in your face like mine.

I can get separation, and everything has its place, but mine never seems to smooth out like yours do, if that makes sense?

Pretty sure it's in the mix, but I'd love to see your process some day.
          Sure man, any time!

Are you familiar with the plugin Audiomovers? It allows you to stream off of your 2-bus via a URL so that someone can listen to what is coming out of your DAW in near-realtime. If you want, we can set up a Zoom/Hangout/Facetime call and I can walk you through some of my processes and workflow. Depending on your Internet connection, you can listen up to 24/96 with minimal latency.

I can tell you one thing, though: you can't treat every song the same, even if your setup was exactly the same for every song ... different riffs and arrangements create resonances in different places, so an EQ (for example) that works great in one song may be be a trainwreck in another. You have to be patient and really try to do what's best for the song.

I took a 6 month class in mixing 4 years ago (I went to music school but didn't study production in college), have done a lot of live FoH engineering, and sat in on seminar/master classes with a lot of great mixing engineers. One of my favorite guys to talk to is Jack Joseph Puig, because he doesn't talk in Hertz or milliseconds, he talks about emotional impact and how to craft a mix that serves the emotion of the song. I'm not saying my ability is anywhere close to his, but I learned a lot from the two or three times I got to sit in on his seminars...

Comment

Originally posted by Bronze Buzzard View Post
            I like that one a lot. The guitar tones are gorgeous
            If memory serves, that was a 2W valve amp (EAST Studio 2), Sennheiser e609, Randall iso cab with Eminence Swamp Thang, and SSL channel strip. Nothing very exotic!

Comment

Great tune. I think a flute solo would go nicely in the last section about the pirates life - sort of hiding under the vox, then shredding it up when the vocals break.

Comment

Working...
              X