Theory ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Theory ideas

It does sound dark and strange. Tougher to grab. The dom7 one of that voicing also sounds weird and not dominant. I'm like wtf is going on.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 06-26-2020, 04:39 PM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Working the harmonized 6th diminished scale aka just 4 inversions of a chord with diminished chords in between as a cadence. I had a lightbulb moment when I realized that the minor 7 voicings are the same as the major 6th voicings. Woohoo! So I already have major and minor started. I'll still have to work it out with major 7 or with dominant. Dominant is tricky because it's alternating between a dominant as the main chord and a diminished as the dominant haha.

Click image for larger version

Name:	6th dim.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	5820935
      I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
        harmonized 6th diminished scale
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]105515[/ATTACH]
        Wow, that is a rad concept! Never heard of it (it's irrelevant, there are tons of things I haven't heard of...). Had to google it, this helped me understand the catch (I think):

Yeah, these "phenotypical" similarities between chord shapes are really cool. When I first realized that, say, the maj7 with the bass note on 4th string looks the same as a min7 with the bass on the 6th string I was a bit like "man, how am I gonna remember which one's which, they look the same?", but then I realized that it actually helps me because my fingers only learn one shape, while my "music" gets two chords.

Comment

Yeah it's a super rad concept. Barry Harris, the jazz pianist, made it up where all it is is sticking the b6 in the major scale. So when it's harmonized you get your main chord if you use a 6 chord and then a dim 7 chord alternating all the way up. The explanation isn't that important, the idea is pretty simple if you just go main chord, dim, main chord inversion, dim, etc. With other chords as the main chord such as say a dom 7 or a half diminished I don't think it works out perfectly theory wise back to the parent scale but it still works if you just find voicings that sound good to go main chord, dim, main chord inversion, dim, etc. Gonna try to just get the chords down then Barry Harris has some demonstrations where he uses it for more intricate chord melody. I'm also gonna try working melody ideas with it.
          I bought them for you

Comment

Working...
          X