New Ernie Ball Music Man's.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Ernie Ball Music Man's.

I really enjoy how half of EBMM's guitars tend to really annoy fans of the other half.
    ---------------------------
    The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
      I really enjoy how half of EBMM's guitars tend to really annoy fans of the other half.
      Yeah, but it's not like half of their models, but literally one half of one guitar.

Comment

This is true. I love the curvy models, but some of the ones above, and the St Vincent, don't do anything for me.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          This is true. I love the curvy models, but some of the ones above, and the St Vincent, don't do anything for me.
          Oddly, I do like the St. Vincent, and the Schecter Ultra III, because they're both "quirky." (Mind you, I've only seen both, in pictures.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Schecter_MM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	5820983

Comment

The St V is so much quirkier than you know. Everyone zeroes in on the body shape (when they're not distracted by a couple of kinda dumb statements made by Annie Clark, around its release) but the real weirdness is buried in the pickups and electronics: She's paired DiMarzio Mini-hums with 250k pots. She must tend to play through some incredibly bright rigs, because, stock, it's a very darkly voiced guitar.

Of course, it also has really remarkably good string-to-string definition and it holds together under extreme gain in a way none of my other guitars do, so I haven't dared change anything out for fear of losing what I love about it.

It's also, easily, the best built instrument I've ever owned, but that's to be expected.

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
            Oddly, I do like the St. Vincent, and the Schecter Ultra III, because they're both "quirky." (Mind you, I've only seen both, in pictures.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]105587[/ATTACH]
            Last edited by St_Genesius; 07-03-2020, 08:07 AM.
            The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

Comment

I didn't know that about the St. Vincent. I have a student that just bought one of the Sterling version. And I hate the body style, but now look forward to trying it through a good amp.

Comment

The Sterling version has different (hotter) pickups. No idea about the pots, or how it handles gain, etc., but I wouldn't go into it expecting the same experience.
                Last edited by St_Genesius; 07-03-2020, 09:10 AM.

Comment

The St V is so much quirkier than you know. Everyone zeroes in on the body shape (when they're not distracted by a couple of kinda dumb statements made by Annie Clark, around its release) but the real weirdness is buried in the pickups and electronics: She's paired DiMarzio Mini-hums with 250k pots. She must tend to play through some incredibly bright rigs, because, stock, it's a very darkly voiced guitar.
                  Well, thanks for throwing fuel on my GAS.

Now, I'll have to sell something to get one.

Comment

The St. Vincent has always looked like a younger sibling of Glenn Tipton's Hamer to me:

Last edited by Sirion; 07-03-2020, 03:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      I didn't know that about the St. Vincent. I have a student that just bought one of the Sterling version. And I hate the body style, but now look forward to trying it through a good amp.
                      Did you get to try it yet?

Comment

Worth it. I only paid $~1400 for mine (one of early all-rosewood models) but I've set aside $3k to grab another one the next time there's a BFR that appeals to me.

That way I can keep one stock - with its near-Active level of gain handling - and another to mess with.

Well, thanks for throwing fuel on my GAS.

Now, I'll have to sell something to get one.

Comment

Did you get to try it yet?
                          I will see him this Friday, so I should get a chance to try it. I don't have experience with the normal Music Man one, but I can at least tell if I like it or not. My first thought when it came out was one of actual hate...I love Music Man guitars, but really hated the look of this one. Everyone who has played a Music Man model says how great it is. We'll see with this one.

Comment

I'm really curious to see how it fits on your lap. For us "bedroom wankers", that's kinda important.

Comment

I haven't seen anyone complain about it seated. To me, close your eyes and it's a 95% scale Explorer. And as surprisingly comfy as those are. I'm going to try to attach a photo below that shows WHY that might be, but ever since the last update, the post controls aren't showing up for me, so I have to poke blindly...

Standing, I've seen a lot of people complain about neck dive. Either because of the straps I use or because my particular instrument is a little heavier than the mean average (mine is closer to 8lbs than 7), it hasn't been an issue for me.

I will caution you, though, as a fellow bedroom rocker: this is an instrument that comes alive at volume. All of that even response and absence of spiky EQ curves that makes it so well behaved when played in anger can feel a little flat when quiet. When my wife is home, I definitely find myself flipping to the bridge pickup a lot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	78708AA4-D3AA-4DE7-B3E5-117649F05522.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	5821015

I'm really curious to see how it fits on your lap. For us "bedroom wankers", that's kinda important.

Comment

That's a cool graphic. It also helps to explain why my Iceman is so comfortable. It's in that same general shape class.

Comment

Working...
                                X