Decorating a pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decorating a pickup

Any of you gents ever painted or engraved a pickup cover? I'm after using a stencil over a gold cover and was hoping for some pointers and tips.

Re: Decorating a pickup

I'd never done this, but I'd be interested to know what your idea is.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've never done this either, but it's an interesting idea. I've got a set of Livewire Classic II humbuckers, in white, that I've thought about airbrushing since the day I first got them. (Several years ago.) I thought some mini-mural would be cool. Possibly a Don Quixote type theme.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Livewire_Classic_II.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	5820892

Click image for larger version

Name:	don_quixote.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	5820893

Comment

I've seen some engraved covers that turned out nice (with a rotary tool). I think using a stencil on gold ones could turn out cool, if engraved deep enough and it'll be nickel/aluminum. Would be a nice contrast.

Comment

Seymour digs engraving.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Painting on gold is out. If you are an experienced engraver, something tasteful and well done would be cool. If you're not, it will look like it fell off the back of a truck on the freeway. However, there are companies out there that do engraving and could duplicate your idea, but it will cost you a bunch more than you paid for both pups.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I'd be worried about paint adhesion on any plated cover. Etching primers may not be compatible with the stencil, and sanding the plating to roughen it gets tedious along masked edges.

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
              If you are an experienced engraver, something tasteful and well done would be cool. If you're not, it will look like it fell off the back of a truck on the freeway.
              To be fair, there's an entire niche market of guitars based on that exact aesthetic.
              Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS View Post
                To be fair, there's an entire niche market of guitars based on that exact aesthetic.
                Yes, used/abused/vintage/relic whatever you want to call it. I don't think the op is asking about that.
                Last edited by GuitarDoc; 06-24-2020, 09:39 AM.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Go to town with some rhinestones, and vejazzle the hell out of that pickup!
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Greasygroove sells etched humbucker covers and will do custom designs. I think anyplace that does computer controlled laser engraving probably could accommodate you also.
                    "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Working...
                    X