banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Neck Humbucker/Bridge single coil suggestions for a Tele?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck Humbucker/Bridge single coil suggestions for a Tele?

Hello all.

I understand that suggestions can be highly subjective about this setup, but, I'm modding a Tele, and could use some suggestions as to equipment.

I'll also be changing my switch/volume/tone with new, so suggestions about individual replacements vs. a pre-wired harness that uses high quality components is definitely an option (think Mojotone, etc.). Concerns there have to do with 250K to 500K, because I'm mixing pickups. I may flip the switch to the bottom to get it out of the way.

OK, I might swap the tuners out and upgrade them as well, so, why not throw in suggestions about new tuning machines as well. LOL. Probably non-locking. Premium and Tele specific.

The pickup upgrades will both be SD product. I'm not sure if I need to match output, or try to figure out a good blend of sound. Classic rock and/or jazz? It might end up being an homage guitar. Think Terry Kath or Andy Summers. I know, not the same thing at all.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated, especially if you have done this mod and found something that really works.

Thanks in advance for any offered advice. I'm sure there will be more suggestions.

Re: Neck Humbucker/Bridge single coil suggestions for a Tele?

I have tried a lot of humbuckers in my Tele's neck. The one I like the best is my TV Jones Classic Plus it gives the Tele a real Malcolm Young vibe.

Comment

I have a tele with a 59 in the neck. I use this with 250k pots and I really enjoy it. It does blues, pop, rock, and jazz really well. I don't find it to be overly bass heavy like others have experienced. I am not sure if you are considering tele sized humbuckers for the bridge, but I have a lil 59 in the bridge and I find these two pickups match really well and of course does classic rock really well. I also have experience with obsidian wireless in my strat. It was super easy to install and wire up.

Comment

I love the Seth Lover in the neck of a Tele. It blends well with the still-twangy-but-rockin' Jerry Donahue in the bridge. It is a setup that can cover a lot of musical ground, too.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

On my ESP LTD TE-212 I had installed a STK-T2b (Hot Lead Stack) and an APH-1n (Alnico II Pro), a Les Paul three-way position switch, and individual switches for each pickup for Series / Parallel / Split wiring. Some magic on the pots, allowing to select between 500k or 250k, depending whether in series or split, to try and catch some classic tones.

The Stack still gives a Tele character, although a modern one, but in parallel and in split it can get very close to classic Tele tones. Handles high gain very well. A2Pro is a dream on the neck, liquid solos just pour out, and parallel and split gives very usable tones, mainly in clean/ breakup.
          Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

I like the Antiquity or a unpotted 59n for a humbucker choice .
            But another option you may want to look at is the Phat Cat P90n , they sound so good with a tele bridge single coil as well .

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              I love the Seth Lover in the neck of a Tele. It blends well with the still-twangy-but-rockin' Jerry Donahue in the bridge. It is a setup that can cover a lot of musical ground, too.

Do you have suggestions for pot size, as I would be mixing a humbucker and a single coil?

Comment

As an aside, has anyone used a SD Alnico II Pro in the neck position in this setup with success?

Can anyone weigh in with a few thoughts comparing the aforementioned humbuckers paired with a Jerry Donahue? I've come upon a Jerry Donahue which I'll be using in the bridge.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  +1 on the JD bridge and Seth neck (Ant HB neck is even a better fit, I think).

B
                  FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

For a Tele neck, it's hard to beat one of the mini-humbuckers. I think the SM1-n is my favorite. They make adapter rings if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
                      +1 on the JD bridge and Seth neck (Ant HB neck is even a better fit, I think).

B
                      I like the Jerry Donahue bridge as well. I have one in my Tele Custom. It's not so steely bright as most Tele bridge pickups and the overall tone is thicker.

I have a Lindy Fralin Vintage style Strat pickup in my Tele.

If I were going to use a neck humbucker with that Jerry Donahue pickup, I'm sure the Seth Lover or Antiquity would be excellent.

But a 59N, Antiquity or Seth Lover modified with a roughcast A3 magnet would be my first choice.

The stock 59N has too much bass for my tastes.

But when the 59N is modded with a roughcast A3 magnet, that excess bass is reduced and it becomes one of my favorite neck humbuckers.

The perceived output seems a little lower with A3 too so I'm sure it would balance better with a bridge single coil.

IMO, Duncan needs to market an A3 59N. Maybe not an A3 neck and bridge set. Just the A3 59N.

Might not be what the metal guys are after, but the blues, jazz and cleaner players might love it!
                      Last edited by Lewguitar; 06-29-2020, 10:04 AM.
                      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

I also like a host of Strat pickups in the neck of a Tele, too. But my favorite is a PAF-type humbucker.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

i really prefer a strat pup (ssl2 for example) or mini-humbucker or firebird pup in the neck of a tele over a tele neck pup or fullsize bucker. ive been running an antiqutiy fb neck in my black tele for years and it sounds great

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	95-Tele-07-2011-008-sm.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	573.6 KB
ID:	5820955

Hamel STD-A (Blackguard) bridge, Fender Tx. Special middle, Duncan Ant. HB in the neck (with its stock degaussed a2 mag). Previously, I had a 7.80K Duncan JD in this guitar before installing it elsewhere.

I never ever thought of getting a 52 or custom shop tele because of this guitar.

B
                            FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

My favourite neck pickup is the Zhangbucker Telebucker 5 — very single coil-like and clear, but with a touch of humbucker timbre.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              >Matt

http://www.soundcloud.com/mattherman
                              http://www.soundcloud.com/stormdoor
                              http://www.soundcloud.com/disonova

Comment

Working...
                              X