Center block of semi hollows electric guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Center block of semi hollows electric guitars

Are the center blocks of semi hollows laminated?

Re: Center block of semi hollows electric guitars

No, generally. It would be a solid block of wood, not like the top, sides and back (of say, a 335).
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne27 View Post
      Are the center blocks of semi hollows laminated?
      I can't speak for all semi-hollows, but my ES-335 has a solid center block, as did the Hamer Echotone that preceded it.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Since the center block is made from solid wood, that means they are sensitive to humidity change?

Comment

Since the center block is made from solid wood, that means they are sensitive to humidity change?
          Usually the thicker the wood the less sensitive to humidity and barometric changes.
          aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Yes, they can be, a little more than solid body guitars...but it's most likely going to have little effect on anything except the finish. IME, hollows and semi-hollows are more likely to have dramatically checked bodies than are solid body guitars.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

As far as guitars go, I think for the most part, solid woods have a lot more benefits than downsides. Humidity wouldn't be a reason to pick plywood over solid wood. But in the end, just make sure you have a healthy environment for your guitar. If you live in a dry area, know the humidity in the room you keep your guitar and adjust it. Where I live, it is near 100% humidity daily, so that is never a concern.

Comment

Does the center block expand and cause the checking on the finish outside?

Comment

More like the wood of the body under the finish can contract and cause it. I don't think it is a center block issue.

Comment

Checking occurs because wood and finishes expand and contract at different rates.
                    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                      Checking occurs because wood and finishes expand and contract at different rates.
                      That's a better explanation than mine.

Comment

Center block of semi hollows electric guitars

The block is solid maple, but there’s a piece of spruce between the block and the top to fill the space.

Finish checking is just in the finish. Has little to do with the wood. You can make the finish check by freezing it with one of those air spay cans.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                            Exactly. And it is usually temperature related. Sudden cooling causes the finish to contract more rapidly than the wood causing checking. Sudden warming = just the opposite. That's why you should always leave your guitar in its case for a while before opening if coming in from a cold environment...let the finish and wood slowly/gradually/uniformly warm up to room temp. And vice versa if going from a hot environment to a cold one.
                            Last edited by GuitarDoc; 06-24-2020, 08:23 AM.
                            Originally Posted by IanBallard
                            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                              Yes, they can be, a little more than solid body guitars...but it's most likely going to have little effect on anything except the finish. IME, hollows and semi-hollows are more likely to have dramatically checked bodies than are solid body guitars.
                              I read online that checking usually occurs on nitrocellulose finishes. Not Polyurethane.

Comment

Working...
                              X