Custom vs Custom 5 magnets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom vs Custom 5 magnets

So these two p'ups are identical except for the magnets, correct? So ceramic in the Custom, and alnico 5 in the Custom 5.

Are the sizes the same though? Say I want to change a Custom to a Custom 5...do I need a 2.5 x .5 x .125 alnico 5? I think I read the ceramic is 2.5 x .5 x.125

Looking at MojoTone, I don't see 2.5, but I do see 2.44 and 2.625" long alnico 5's, both with the same .5" width and .125" thickness. Is it just splitting hairs at that point?

Re: Custom vs Custom 5 magnets

Originally posted by Blobby View Post
    So these two p'ups are identical except for the magnets, correct? So ceramic in the Custom, and alnico 5 in the Custom 5.

Are the sizes the same though? Say I want to change a Custom to a Custom 5...do I need a 2.5 x .5 x .125 alnico 5? I think I read the ceramic is 2.5 x .5 x.125

Looking at MojoTone, I don't see 2.5, but I do see 2.44 and 2.625" long alnico 5's, both with the same .5" width and .125" thickness. Is it just splitting hairs at that point?
    AFAIK all SD magnets are the same size. I recently swapped magnets between my Custom 5 & Alnico II Pro, leaving me with a Jazz and a Custom Custom. Both of those were the same size, but they're both alnico. I like my ceramic Customs just fine, so I haven't felt the need to pull the magnets from those.

I'm not sure about the Mojotone magnets, but if i were in your shoes I'd get the slightly smaller one as it's closest overall to the original magnet.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

Comment

Or you can try a short A5. It should change the field a bit, but I'm not sure the effect on the tone.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Addiction-fx, that's a name I couldn't remember but had heard people talk about for mags. Cool, nice to have options.

Thanks yall!

Comment

Addiction-fx, that's a name I couldn't remember but had heard people talk about for mags. Cool, nice to have options.

Thanks yall!
            That's where I get mine. I'm very picky but their magnets seem to be very good.

You'll have a choice of roughcast vs. polished magnets.

Both sound good but I prefer roughcast. The tone seems rounder and more complex.

Seems like Duncan tends to use the roughcast magnets in what I think of as being their best pickups: the Antiquity humbuckers.
            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
              AFAIK all SD magnets are the same size. I recently swapped magnets between my Custom 5 & Alnico II Pro, leaving me with a Jazz and a Custom Custom. Both of those were the same size, but they're both alnico. I like my ceramic Customs just fine, so I haven't felt the need to pull the magnets from those.

I'm not sure about the Mojotone magnets, but if i were in your shoes I'd get the slightly smaller one as it's closest overall to the original magnet.
              No, even Duncan's ceramics, like in the Custom, are twice as thick as their alnico mags
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

The ceramic mags are generally twice as thick as alnico. The various lengths of alnicos makes some difference, but not enough to worry at all about.

I always try to buy 2.5" but if I can't find that length (which is extremely rare), I'm not concerned at all. Except, longer than 2.5" won't fit in a normal sized humbucker. Those work better for trembuckers.
                Last edited by GuitarDoc; 06-24-2020, 08:50 AM.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

This is the type of experimenting that everyone should do. A few hours with a few magnets reveals a lot.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                    No, even Duncan's ceramics, like in the Custom, are twice as thick as their alnico mags
                    I admit that I haven't pulled a magnet from either of my SH-5s, but the spacers aren't any taller than my Custom Custom. I've also heard from several sources that Duncan uses both regular and double-thickness ceramics with the latter being used in the Distortion, Invader, and likely others. I've likewise heard of a Custom with the double-thick magnet being called a 'Big Custom'.
                    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I swapped my custom and my custom 5 and they were the same size. They swapped fine

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                        i am pretty sure the SH-5 custom has a regular sized ceramic like standard gibson A5s and A2s.
                        The SH-6 DIstortion for example has a double thick one

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
                          I swapped my custom and my custom 5 and they were the same size. They swapped fine
                          that's also my memory/understanding

Comment

The Custom using a double thick magnet is nonsense. It’s a standard sized Duncan humbucker magnet.
                            Originally posted by LesStrat
                            Yogi Berra was correct.
                            Originally posted by JOLLY
                            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Well I'll order multiple magnet sizes to be as mad a scientist as possible. Sane scientists are boring!

Comment

Working...
                              X