Custom vs Custom 5 magnets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Custom vs Custom 5 magnets

I find the ceramic mag in the Custom to sound fantastic. Right now, I don’t have any need to experiment with it’s stock form.
    I don’t hear any shrill high end as some report with ceramic magnets.

Comment

Sorry, I meant to say Custom Custom / Custom. Before. So it was alnico 2 / ceramic

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

The Custom uses a standard sized ceramic magnet. A lot of Seymour Duncan's ceramic pickups do use double-thickness ceramics like the TB-6 Distortion, SH-8 Invader & PATB-2 Parallel Axis Distortion, and likely several of the newer metal pickups.

There are a few people who really like the punch of a double thickness ceramic in the Customs, probably root of the confusion. But the nice thing about the Custom as a mag swap platform is most options (Custom, Custom Custom, Custom 5, homebrew Custom 8 & Custom UA5) take the same sized magnets without fiddling with keeper bar adjustments for height.

Comment

The standard Custom is one of the only ceramic humbuckers I've been able to bond with.
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
            The standard Custom is one of the only ceramic humbuckers I've been able to bond with.
            I’ll add the Super Distortion to that list also....at least for me.

But yes, the Custom is surprisingly warm and the high end is not harsh or brittle at all.
            When I first installed it in my LP, it definitely had more sizzle than the pickup it replaced, and at first I wasn’t sure what to make of it. But now that I’ve had it in there for a month or so, I LOVE it.

Comment

For me, I only like the Custom 5 in mid-heavy guitars. I love the Custom Custom in a balanced guitar. The regular Custom doesn't do it for me.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I goofed. You guys were correct about the regular sized ceramic in the Custom. My mind sometimes gets Custom and Distortion mixed up.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Yeah I figured you meant the distortion. This has me wondering what a regular ceramic in the distortion and a double thick one in the custom sound like.

Comment

Working...
                  X