Variation of Amps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Variation of Amps

Do amps generally vary more from each other sound-wise compared to electric guitar pickups? I heard that the difference between pickups are very subtle compare to the difference between amps.

Re: Variation of Amps

In older amps in particular tones can be very different amp to amp of the same brand. This is due to component drift through just age and use.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

In my experience;

Two very different amps, with the same guitar, will sound "more different"
      than two very different pickups, in the same guitar, in the same amp.

(though... pickups can vary in the extremes. Like a very very quiet single coil, vs. a very dark and loud humbucker- or gold foil? filtertron. EMG. )

If you're comparing, let's say two similar SD pickups, versus a solid state Peavey and an all-tube Fender,
      I'd say the amp makes more of a difference.
      Last edited by Erlend_G; 06-24-2020, 02:39 AM.
      If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

too generalized to answer

Comment

Compared to pickups, amps simply have more parts, and more values that can be 'off' of the ideal specs of those parts. Those offsets add up over the list of components. Modern production pickups are really really consistent by comparison.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne27 View Post
            Do amps generally vary more from each other sound-wise compared to electric guitar pickups? I heard that the difference between pickups are very subtle compare to the difference between amps.
            The short answer is "it depends"; some amps and some pickups are extremely consistent while others aren't. I don't think it's possible to answer such a general question.

Originally posted by Ascension View Post
            In older amps in particular tones can be very different amp to amp of the same brand. This is due to component drift through just age and use.
            In terms of variation I'm most familiar with MV Marshalls; specifically the 2203 & 2204 models of both JMP and JCM800 vintage. After the mkII circuit was adopted in late '76 or '77, the only design change I know of for sure is the power supply redesign in '86. Pre-86 amps have the 'classic' sound that everyone associates with JCM800s, while the later ones are brighter and more aggressive. I don't care for the later power supply with the 2203/2204 circuit, while others like Kerry King prefer it. I really like what the new power supply does for the 2205/2210 circuit FWIW.

The pre-86 'classic' 2203/2204s are all supposedly the same circuit, but they're all over the map in terms of tone. I'm not sure how much of it is initial component tolerance, how much is component drift over the years, and how much is different makes of tubes, but there is a ton of variation within amps that should in theory be the same. OTOH the 2203X reissue is supposedly a copy of the pre-86 circuit, and they're remarkably consistent from amp to amp. In terms of which is 'better', the 2203X sounds like a 'good' original 2203. The great ones are better, but the reissue saves you having to go through potentially dozens of amps to find that diamond in the rough.
            Originally posted by crusty philtrum
            And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Yes and no......

No and yes.

There are incredible variations in both. And there is no global measuring scale.....nor perhaps any real need to try and invent one as its not really something anybody is really interested in specifically finding out.

Most of the actual practical use for this area comes when you consider that the amp is the ultimate link in the tone chain (and i'm talking amp+speaker+enclosure here). In many ways it is the most critical aspect - a poor choice here will essentially 'negate' any awesome components preceding it. And a great amp can sometimes 'rescue' a bland guitar, pickup set or effects.
              The best, of course, is to have good components throughout the chain. Then, the myriad of pickup choices will sound just as distinct as they can be.

Comment

very short answer, to what has been stated a very broad question

a great amp can make a crap guitar sound good

a great pickup can make a crap guitar still sound like a crap guitar unless you use a great amp

Comment

Amp and speaker have a bigger effect on your tone than pickup. You should spend enough money to get a sound you like to hear from your amp before you go changing pickups.
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Amps are the main course. Guitars are the garnish. Pedals are spices. Pickups are salt and pepper to taste.
                    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

The more you turn up the amp's drive, the harder it is to hear the difference between guitars and pickups.

Comment

If an amp is factory stock there shouldn't be a lot of variation from one amp to another. If there is quality control is probably poor.

Comment

I'm pretty sure OP is referring to variations between different MODELS of amps, not differences within models.

When I was a kid getting started I thought the only difference between amps was whether they had built-in effects or not. "Fenders have built-in reverb and trem for country guys, Marshalls have built-in distortion for rockers." It took years of playing before I I understood the nuances and subtleties that come from various kinds of Marshall's or Fenders.
                          green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Answer to the OP is “night and day”

Comment

Working...
                            X