X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H/H/H wiring

Hi.
    I saw your big hearts and willingness to help to a lot of people so here I am, another knowing nothing newbie.

I tried to custom wire my Ibanez in H/H/H and H/S/H twice and failed even though following local luthier’s and DiMarzio's customer support advises.

I value your time and effort and if anyone can draw a working wiring for me, don’t hesitate to drop your PayPal.

I want Coil Taping and Splitting with the hardware I have or with any extra hardware you suggest needs to be added.
    (Parallel /dual sound is not possible for the hum canceling middle DiMarzio Area)

At some point, I intend to replace the neck with Sustainiac Stealth PRO but I guess that shouldn’t be of any matter for this wiring project now?

I see a lot of people explain to each other wiring with words. I’m afraid, explaining it with words wouldn't work for me because I have dyslexia or lack the IQ. I tried to learn some but my head hurts and I go mad lol.

That being said, I follow picture schematics religiously and work very clean and precise with solder, checking the continuity with multimeter.
    Please check my files to be able to see what I have and if it helps use it to draw idiot proof wiring for me.

THANKS

What I have:

Neck - DiMarzio Gravity Storm (DP252)
    Middle - DiMarzio Area58 (DP415) noise canceling
    Bridge - DiMarzio Gravity Storm (DP253)
    DiMarzio 5-way multipole super switch (EP1112)
    CTS Pull Push pots 500k
    CTS TVT pots 500k
    Generic mini toggle switch (3PDT) with 9 terminals - 2 Positions (On/On)
    DiMarzio EP1111 (4PDT) Pickup Selector Switch with 12 terminals - 3 Position (On/On/On)
    Sprague Orange Drop Treble Bleed Kit and Capacitors (multiple values)
    Continuity tested copper shielding on ALL cavities (do I need extra grounding wires?)

JPG file:

PSD file:

I tried this wiring https://www.dropbox.com/s/0fbauynih6...iring.jpg?dl=0 and it somewhat worked but had problem.
    It was getting noisy when rolling down the Volume so I couldn't use the Volume in any other value but on Max.

Then I tried this wiring https://www.dropbox.com/s/fe2vwgyxeg...litPP.jpg?dl=0 and it totally failed on me.
    Last edited by Zaakkk; 07-09-2020, 07:36 AM. Reason: adding more info

Re: H/H/H wiring

To begin with the easy part:

it's either tap or split and the pickups you have, are definitely going to be split, not tapped.

Other than that.

what do you want each item to do? I'll be happy to draw you a schematic

I'll give you a template you can copy/paste and reply to:

5 way switch
    Position 1 (closest to bridge):
    position 2
    position
    position 4
    position 5 (closest to neck)

Pot 1:

Pot 2:

Toggle function:

Push Pull function:
    Also, what is it not doing that you want it to do?

I need all that so I can make the right schematic because what I saw are a couple of different schematics, and I need to know what's going wrong now

Comment

Hi Orpheo,
      Thank you for your quick reply and kind offer

Ok let it be split then, not tapped

*According to DiMarzio:
      - The bottom coil (Green & White wires) of the middle noise canceling Area 58, can NOT be wired for parallel (dual sound).
      - Only the bottom coil can be turned off for Single Coil mode.
      - Phase switch is possible.

It’s in my graphics up there

I don’t know if what I want is possible but please do the wiring that is the easiest for you and not necessarily exactly what i want here:

I will assign letter to each pickup coil starting from bridge A and finishing with neck F.
      Bridge -> (A_B) (C_D*) (E_F) <- Neck

5 way switch Positions I want:

1 - AB
      2 - AB+CD
      3 - CD
      4 - CD+EF
      5 - EF

1 - AB+C
      2 - B+CD
      3 - CD+E
      4 - C+EF
      5 - F

1 - A+C
      2 - B+C+E
      3 - C+E
      4 - E
      5 - C+F

Pot 1: Pull Push Volume.

Pot 2: Tone.

Toggle function: Up to you.

Push Pull function: Up to you.

With the first schematic i tried, made for me by a local luthier, the Volume was useful only on Max. In any other value it was amplifying incremental noise as I turn it down to decrease the Volume. So no cleaning up the tone or soft Volume attack was possible.

With the second schematic I tried from DiMarzio’s page (Ibanez UV7 SplitPP), the Volume and Tone values are reversed, decreasing instead of increasing. The Volume on max 10 position is 0. It is starting from Volume 9 on position 9 and then as I roll the Volume down it stays the same until it suddenly goes to volume 10 on position 0. All upside down and weird.
      Last edited by Zaakkk; 07-09-2020, 07:33 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaakkk View Post
        Hi Orpheo,
        Thank you for your quick reply and kind offer

Ok let it be split then, not tapped

*According to DiMarzio:
        - The bottom coil (Green & White wires) of the middle noise canceling Area 58, can NOT be wired for parallel (dual sound).
        - Only the bottom coil can be turned off for Single Coil mode.
        - Phase switch is possible.

It’s in my graphics up there

I don’t know if what I want is possible but please do the wiring that is the easiest for you and not necessarily exactly what i want here:

I will assign letter to each pickup coil starting from bridge A and finishing with neck F.
        Bridge -> (A_B) (C_D*) (E_F) <- Neck

5 way switch Positions I want:

1 - AB
        2 - AB+CD
        3 - CD
        4 - CD+EF
        5 - EF

1 - AB+C
        2 - B+CD
        3 - CD+E
        4 - C+EF
        5 - F

1 - A+C
        2 - B+C+E
        3 - C+E
        4 - E
        5 - C+F

Pot 1: Pull Push Volume.

Pot 2: Tone.

Toggle function: Up to you.

Push Pull function: Up to you.

With the first schematic i tried, made for me by a local luthier, the Volume was useful only on Max. In any other value it was amplifying incremental noise as I turn it down to decrease the Volume. So no cleaning up the tone or soft Volume attack was possible.

With the second schematic I tried from DiMarzio’s page (Ibanez UV7 SplitPP), the Volume and Tone values are reversed, decreasing instead of increasing. The Volume on max 10 position is 0. It is starting from Volume 9 on position 9 and then as I roll the Volume down it stays the same until it suddenly goes to volume 10 on position 0. All upside down and weird.
        Hey Zaakkk,

Are you making any progress with your request?

If not, I would be glad to help.

Question: are you aware that the following combinations you requested will not be hum-canceling because they are comprised of an uneven number of active coils?

1 - AB+C
        2 - B+CD
        3 - CD+E
        4 - C+EF
        5 - F

2 - B+C+E
        4 - E

?
        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Yeah, the TS asked me to make up a schematic but I'm swamped. I will have to find the time sorry Buddy!

Comment

Just a warning: When you're all done figuring out how to do this you'll probably only love three or four of those settings enough to use them.

I wired my Strat for 10 tones.

Guess which ones I use?

The stock ones!
            “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Hi Jack!
              Hi guys!
              Thanks!
              I was about to offer the blood of three virgins to the Gods of Valhalla in return to working wiring, but you saved them all and my cursed soul.
              On your question.
              I am obviously unaware of what conditions should I follow in order to keep the hum canceling on all 3 positions.
              So feel free to complettly disregard my intellectual attempts and come up with something that makes sense.
              I have already drilled extra hole between the Volume and Tone pots for a toggle switch.
              So if you can utilize it in any practical way, please do so using either one of those switches I have in hand (or any other you choose):
              1. Generic mini toggle switch (3PDT) with 9 terminals - 2 Positions (On/On)
              2. DiMarzio EP1111 (4PDT) Pickup Selector Switch with 12 terminals - 3 Position (On/On/On)
              Are you sure I should leave the virgins alone?
              Last edited by Zaakkk; 07-09-2020, 08:09 AM.

Comment

I tried this wiring https://www.dropbox.com/s/0fbauynih6...iring.jpg?dl=0 and it somewhat worked but had problem.
                It was getting noisy when rolling down the Volume so I couldn't use the Volume in any other value but on Max.
                Am I understanding correctly that the wiring scheme quoted above, did everything you wanted except that the volume control had some issues?
                Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

1. Generic mini toggle switch (3TDP) with 9 terminals - 2 Positions (On/On)
                  You probably meant "3PDT"
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Thanks GuitarDoc, you are right. The mini switch is 3PDT too.
                    Why do I do such things?!
                    I will edit my stupidity now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
                      Am I understanding correctly that the wiring scheme quoted above, did everything you wanted except that the volume control had some issues?
                      Yes, it worked somewhat well but I was able to use the Volume only on Max. In any other position it was adding noise louder than what I was playing.
                      This is how it worked: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c326t3jhjs...32525.jpg?dl=0

Comment

Samples of how it sounded with the first wiring I did.

Last edited by Zaakkk; 07-09-2020, 05:40 PM.

Comment

I found this to be somewhat similar to what we try here:

Comment

Yes, it worked somewhat well but I was able to use the Volume only on Max. In any other position it was adding noise louder than what I was playing.
                            This is how it worked: https://www.dropbox.com/s/c326t3jhjs...32525.jpg?dl=0
                            Ok, re-do that wiring again, but this time use a different volume pot. The volume pot you had was broken, that's all. Just replace it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_TriPpEr View Post
                              Ok, re-do that wiring again, but this time use a different volume pot. The volume pot you had was broken, that's all. Just replace it.
                              That is a very good idea indeed, let's test it!

Hum, is it possible for this pot to be broken?

Comment

Working...
                              X