X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: H/H/H wiring

Originally posted by Zaakkk View Post
    1. If you watch carefully in the second video (at 1:10) https://youtu.be/v7nvNiyppI4
    and in three of the pictures (4,5 & 6)

I show and explain that the middle lug is grounded underneath and that's why you can't see it from the top. If you don't have the time to watch the video just check the pictures and there's a good close-up of that solder.

2. The misleadingly colourful black, red & green wire attached to the middle lug are just the hot from the jack. Those were the original jack wires so I didn't bother replacing them. Obviously in the guitar factory they have used a pickup wire for the jack.

I am grateful for your effort.
    Thanks.
    It's great that you have the tone pot itself grounded - you would have additional noise issues if you did not. However, that little piece is not what is providing the grounding of the tone pot with the rest of the components. Routing part of a component to itself like you did with that little piece, does nothing, sorry. What is providing the grounding/connectivity that your multi-meter picked up, is that yellow wire soldered to the side of your tone pot.

For the capacitor to have an effect on the signal, you need to connect that middle lug that i circled, and send that to ground. *specifically* the lug that i circled. Same pic attached to this reply for clarity. This is completely separate from whether the tone pot itself is grounded to the rest of the components in the guitar (which is what the yellow wire is currently providing).

I need to ponder more about your jack connection (#2). I will get back to you shortly on that.
    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 07-14-2020, 08:23 AM.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

I'm sorry, perhaps we have language barrier problem here because English is not my mother's tongue.

As I said before, the middle Tone lug is grounded underneath and that's why you can't see it on the picture you show. You can clearly see it in closeup on three of the pictures (4,5 & 6) in this folder:

In the second video

at 1:10 I explained that the middle lug is grounded underneath and that's why you can't see it from the top. If you don't have the time to watch the video just check the pictures and there's a good close-up of that middle Tone lug solder on three pictures.

I hope that makes sense.
      Thanks.

Comment

I'm sorry, perhaps we have language barrier problem here because English is not my mother's tongue.

As I said before, the middle Tone lug is grounded underneath and that's why you can't see it on the picture you show. You can clearly see it in closeup on three of the pictures (4,5 & 6) in this folder:

In the second video

at 1:10 I explained that the middle lug is grounded underneath and that's why you can't see it from the top. If you don't have the time to watch the video just check the pictures and there's a good close-up of that middle Tone lug solder on three pictures.

I hope that makes sense.
        Thanks.
        I did see the little piece that you mentioned. I don't own any of those CTS push-pull pots, so I am just not confident that that little piece is directly (and solely) connected to the middle lug. Also, where you attached that little wire (to the metal around the shaft) may not be making a good ground connection.

Please try connecting the eyelet of the middle lug to ground... and as the ground spot, choose the same location on the side of the pot where you attached the yellow wire. Maybe this won't make a difference, but you have nothing to lose by trying.
        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Yes, the CTS pull push pots have their lugs exposed underneath so I understand your confusion if you're not familiar with them and the option to be grounded from there.

I triple checked the continuity on every solder with the multimeter. If you watch this video

you can see me checking exactly the middle Tone lug again. It is 100% grounded.
          Last edited by Zaakkk; 07-14-2020, 09:21 AM.

Comment

Yes, the CTS pull push pots have their lugs exposed underneath so I understand your confusion if you're not familiar with them and the option to be grounded from there.

I triple checked the continuity on every solder with the multimeter. If you watch this video

you can see me checking exactly the middle Tone lug again. It is 100% grounded.
            Ok, thanks. I watched the video.

I agree something is not correct about that Hot wire coming from the Output Jack.

Comment

Wow, you are right, I was getting false readings because the pot was grounded on the shielding. I removed the pot now from contact with the shielding and when I checked with the multimeter the lug is not grounded.

Comment

Resoldered and checked.

Comment

Resoldered and checked.
                  https://youtu.be/9dRoXKUmxXI
                  Great.

Comment

Check my video

and help me find where is the Volume middle lug grounded to?
                    Thanks.

Comment

Check my video

and help me find where is the Volume middle lug grounded to?
                      Thanks.
                      There is an an alligator clip attached to the volume pot middle lug. Even if the other end of that clip is not attached to anything, it could be resting against something that is providing continuity. Please go ahead and disconnect that alligator clip from the middle lug, and then check again if the middle lug is still showing continuity with something.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

That alligator clip is connected only to the Volume's middle lug and the multimeter. This is the only way I can check if this lug is grounded. Yes?

Comment

Another check here

Comment

That alligator clip is connected only to the Volume's middle lug and the multimeter. This is the only way I can check if this lug is grounded. Yes?
                            Ok, so that's a clip from one of the multi-meter's leads. You have other alligator clips in that video that are not attached to the multi-meter, and I wasn't sure if this one of them.

My own troubleshooting skills with components on a bench are not the strongest. It's an area that I am working to improve. I am currently stronger at being able to spot issues with the design of a wiring diagram. So hopefully a forum member with good skills in component troubleshooting will see this and provide some advice.

What about trying a different volume pot, just to see if the current pot is faulty?

Comment

I used 2 brand new pots now not because the old were found to be faulty but because I was highly suspicious and I wanted to exclude any possibility of faulty pots.
                              The new pots are giving exactly he same result as before with the old pots and I'm having exactly the same Volume hum issue.
                              I checked the new pots before I installed them.
                              If the middle lug is shortened inside of the pot to any of the other lugs, it wouldn't be possible for the pot to be measured the way I did measure the pots to check their minimum and maximum values and to see if there's any skipping in between them.
                              I checked the possibility of connected faulty lugs in the video here, and if any of them are connected inside of the pot's casing, it wouldn't be possible for the pot to be measured.

Comment

Zaakkk,

To help get a new set of eyes on your question about that volume pot, it might be a good idea to start a new thread dedicated to just that 1 question.

Comment

Working...
                                X