X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: H/H/H wiring

Originally posted by Zaakkk View Post
    That is a very good idea indeed, let's test it!

Hum, is it possible for this pot to be broken?
    Very nice that you made your own video.

Read this article about scratchy pots and seeing if spraying electronic contact cleaner into it might resolve the issue:

Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Thanks. I've experienced old scratchy pots way back in my youth.
      My brand new CTS never skipped or made a scratching noises. Smooth as it gets it was just adding incremental humming noise when I was decreasing the volume.
      I have two other brand new so I guess I can give it a try and hope for the best. That's the only thing I haven't tried.

Comment

Thanks. I've experienced old scratchy pots way back in my youth.
        My brand new CTS never skipped or made a scratching noises. Smooth as it gets it was just adding incremental humming noise when I was decreasing the volume.
        I have two other brand new so I guess I can give it a try and hope for the best. That's the only thing I haven't tried.
        Was the humming happening in all pickup selector positions, or just the ones that featured split humbuckers?
        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

All positions.

Comment

If it's all positions, then maybe the location where you play this guitar has a lot of EMI/RFI. And so adding copper shielding tape inside the control cavity of your guitar would help with that.

Do you have any other electric guitars that you have played in the same location and they have NOT hummed?

Comment

I don't have WiFi or cable. I live in a house on the outskirts of a small Irish town, my neighbors are all pensioners and no military or technology infrastructure around. Also, why would a good continuity tested Faraday cage, one that they put in all custom-made top Dollar guitars today, would add hum instead of decreasing it. Also the hum was disappearing at Volume on Max without me playing or touching the guitar and that's on very pumped up distorted sound as you can hear from my sound check videos. Why would the EMF disappear when the volume is on Max?

Comment

My shielding.

Last edited by Zaakkk; 07-12-2020, 08:04 AM.

Comment

I haven't played other guitar in my house but I played this guitar with the original Ibanez Quantum pickups and electronics in it. I didn't have any noise issues but the sound wasn't what I wanted so all Ibanez intestines were shipped to the US over eBay and some guy loved them

I bought the guitar recently brand new, threw away all Ibanez electronics and replaced them with DiMarzio. Now this is the sound I was looking for but the noise issue came as plague over my great sounding DigiTech RP360 XP - all effects I need in a single box. No cluttered cabels, pedal boards and racks. Nice and clean.
                  Last edited by Zaakkk; 07-12-2020, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                    Just a warning: When you're all done figuring out how to do this you'll probably only love three or four of those settings enough to use them.

I wired my Strat for 10 tones.

Guess which ones I use?

The stock ones!
                    I would like to repeat this sentiment. Everyone who gets into custom wiring goes for the guitar that can do anything and thinks they'll use all of them, but they never do.

If you ask me, the perfect number of sounds for a guitar is 3 if they are all distinct and usable. Any more than that and the situations where one position is useful starts to overlap. For example, most songs that I play with the neck pickup on a Strat also work well with the neck/middle position.

But this is the sort of information that even if God, Van Halen, and the ghost of Bill Lawrence came down and told it to you 1000 times, you still wouldn't really "know" it until you learned it for yourself.
                    You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                    Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
                      I would like to repeat this sentiment. Everyone who gets into custom wiring goes for the guitar that can do anything and thinks they'll use all of them, but they never do.

If you ask me, the perfect number of sounds for a guitar is 3 if they are all distinct and usable. Any more than that and the situations where one position is useful starts to overlap. For example, most songs that I play with the neck pickup on a Strat also work well with the neck/middle position.

But this is the sort of information that even if God, Van Halen, and the ghost of Bill Lawrence came down and told it to you 1000 times, you still wouldn't really "know" it until you learned it for yourself.
                      Thanks.
                      We all have 3 favourite positions we use 99% of the time no matter how many we have, the question is which three. I already agreed with that statement.
                      All I need now is to find some use for the third hole I drilled in my Ibanez for the toggle switch and get rid of the Volume down hum.

Comment

You could use it as a bass cut or kill switch.
                        You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                        Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

I don't have WiFi or cable. I live in a house on the outskirts of a small Irish town, my neighbors are all pensioners and no military or technology infrastructure around. Also, why would a good continuity tested Faraday cage, one that they put in all custom-made top Dollar guitars today, would add hum instead of decreasing it. Also the hum was disappearing at Volume on Max without me playing or touching the guitar and that's on very pumped up distorted sound as you can hear from my sound check videos. Why would the EMF disappear when the volume is on Max?
                          This is the first time you disclosed that the guitar had a Faraday cage setup.

I can say from a wiring diagram perspective, that I don't see anything wrong with that wiring diagram that would cause that noise issue. That is why I started asking questions about other possible causes for the noise.

My "area of expertise" is wiring diagrams - and that doesn't mean that I claim to be an expert either, lol. You probably should start a separate thread to ask about the noise issue. There are other members in this forum who are more knowledgeable about that subject and can assist/advice on that.

I am glad to continue to assist you from a wiring diagram design perspective.

Comment

I believe you on 101%. Obviously my first attempted wiring diagram is correct and that's why I'm starting to suspect that it is ME, it is I who don't understand it properly so I wire it wrong and I will do it again.
                            It would be very kind of you if you draw an idiot proof diagram for me before I do exactly the same mistake that I did before.

Last edited by Zaakkk; 07-12-2020, 11:33 AM.

Comment

I believe you on 101%. Obviously my first attempted wiring diagram is correct and that's why I'm starting to suspect that it is ME, it is I who don't understand it properly so I wire it wrong and I will do it again.
                              It would be very kind of you if you draw an idiot proof diagram for me before I do exactly the same mistake that I did before.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0fbauynih6...iring.jpg?dl=0
                              The diagram seems fine as-is, so there is nothing for me to change if I tried to create a fool-proof one like you requested.

If you experience problems after wiring it up, reply back with a description of the problem and be ready to take photos of the wiring work and post them in replies if we ask for that.

Comment

I'm almost ready.
                                I know it's personal preference by trial and error but would you suggest which capacitor should I use and should I use just one or two? I'm seeing most of the Ibanez original schematics have two capacitors 330k + 223k or 330k + 0.022uF.
                                I got 473k, 330k and 223k at hand.

Comment

Working...
                                X