Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY amp kits

Good afternoon!

I have been looking at some of the DIY amp kits and I am intrigued. I feel I have the skills to build one, but I was curious if any of you have, and what kinds of issues or anything you ran into?

Thanks!

Re: DIY amp kits

I’m interested in some info on this subject as well.
    I’d love to build a Plexi.

Comment

The best first build for most is a Fender tweed.....like a champ or a 5e3 version of the Deluxe. Not much in the way of controls or tubes to complicate things.

Many of the issues for the first timer lie not in the board, but in setting up and laying out of all the tightly twisted power carrying wire pairs. These will make the difference between a super quiet amp, and an ungodly hum. Then yu have the routing of all the ancillary wires to controls.....and making sure they are the right length and neatly dressed.
      Even with a LOT of guitar wiring and a dozen pedal builds, the 5E3 I did was a challenge to keep neat (although I did realise later my iron was on the way out at the time).
      Last edited by AlexR; 06-24-2020, 10:34 PM.

Comment

The 5f1 is a "fairly" uncomplicated one as far as tube amp building can be uncomplicated anyway.......kits are high, but schematics are all over the interwebs, and and old ham radio or other such scrap parts will do you just as nicely as a pricey kit, but takes time/access to those nice trash dumps I've also given myself quite a few shocks(not very pleasant so be careful )

and as said above, a really nice iron/tips will be your best friend.

Comment

So...who makes the preferred kits?
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've heard Weber amp kits are very good.

If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Guytronix is one I've no first hand knowledge of, but have heard great things about their customer service, you'll actually get good copper wiring

A quick look at their site and all their kits are "temporarily unavailable" hah, figures.

Tube Depot probably will have your biggest kit selection(would recommend going ahead and getting your own wires though)

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                So...who makes the preferred kits?
                Ceriatone.

The weber stuff is ok but a lot of parts are poor quality.

Triode electronics has some nice kits too. If you want to go higher gain theres a place in Australia doing VH4 wizard metal/modern classic etc too
                Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
                WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Non Biased General Guitar forum
                http://fret.boards.net

Comment

Modded Fenderbased kits from Allen amps
                  I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I've looked at the Allen amp kits before, and those look wonderful. I think if I do a build, a Fender-based one would be where I'd start.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Also, don't think that your first kit or 2 that are exact clones are going to sound just like the original. There's still a fair bit of nuance in the builds and techniques that make them what they are.

I've known so many people build to build amp clones with just a very average opinion of the result.

It takes a bit of skill, technique, knowledge, and experience to take an amp from good to great -the last %10.
                      “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                      X