Fans of JB in the neck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fans of JB in the neck?

I wanna try something hot in the neck of a guitar . JB in the bridge. I'm almost thinking a JB could do it - Jackson USA models come with Dual JB's and people seem to like those fine - in fact I used to have one, but it's been so long I hardly remember what it was like. All I remember was I had no complaints about that tone in 2009

Just wanted to see if anyone had a fresh take on this. I know there's been threads before but search function is not working. Anyone out there rocking this as a regular setup?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Re: Fans of JB in the neck?

I have a JB with A3 magnet as the neck pickup in my RG570. I have it installed backwards (stud coil towards neck in neck position), with short (0.75" IIRC) hex screws under the wound strings, screwed in deeply on wound side, with the screws out to level volume. It's fat but doesn't fart out, and just sings on the treble strings. Surprising amount of sparkle at lower gain, better upper mids/presence balance than with A5, at least in this guitar.

(This is the same RG570 that the same SH-4 JB was horrid in when installed in as a bridge humbucker.)

I'm not sure I'd do dual JBs, but a magnet swap might get it to an interesting place. I tend to want different things from different positions. You might find it useful to try at least shorter screws (switching to hex heads is an easy way to do that, but means tool switches to adjust string balance, alloy change is the biggest factor in screw tone aside from length of screw, in readily swappable polepiece screws). Don't necessarily need the magnet swap, but angling the pickup & adjusting screws to compensate may be worthwhile to control flub in neck position. Can also look into Artie's de-mud mod, to attack from electronics angle.

JB3 neck with a Custom bridge is absolutely something I'd do if I wanted punchier rhythm (particularly for metal, but without the tearing presence of a lot of ceramic metal-oriented pickups), but with lots of harmonics on tap from the neck pickup for leads.

Comment

It works a lot better in the 24 fret position. Wiring it parallel can also yield interesting results in the neck.
      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Originally posted by Chistopher View Post
        It works a lot better in the 24 fret position. Wiring it parallel can also yield interesting results in the neck.
        My RG570 is a 24-fret guitar, I haven't tried it in a 22-fretter, but I imagine you'd mostly just need to worry about low end getting too congested? Play with height under bass strings & pole piece heights (and screw length, shorter screw reduces bass and increases high end bite).

I went overboard to fix low-end on mine because the stock JB managed to be both tubby and nasal in the guitar. It is neither of those things in the neck with the magnet swap and everything else. But actually has more midrange, and more actual high end, as well. But much less of the JB's signature upper midrange spike, though it still has enough of that for harmonics to pop.

I have not tried it parallel, I suspect that'd be too low output with the A3, especially where I have a PATB-1b in the bridge that already tends to overpower it. It's odd having a relatively low output solo-friendly tone in the neck, and that can do fat riffs nicely without bloat and farting out.

Comment

I don't know where you heard that USA Jacksons use a JB in the neck; typically, they use a JB in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck.

Comment

Oh man... back in 2005/2006 that was the hottest thing here.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I've found that a Demon and up is hella hot in the neck. You don't gotta go full JB unless you want.
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

While people do like hot neck pickups, I am wondering what you might like about having a neck pickup that hot. It will have to be a little lower in its ring to balance with the bridge, and that probably won't give the best tone.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Cynical View Post
                  I don't know where you heard that USA Jacksons use a JB in the neck; typically, they use a JB in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck.
                  The KV2 I bought brand new in 2009 most certainly had a JB in the neck and I believe they kept them that way until recently changing it to a 59' model. It may have just been a King V thing

Last edited by BeKindRewind; 06-25-2020, 06:18 PM.

Comment

On the back burner is a cs 9k JB neck.
                    The things that you wanted
                    I bought them for you

Comment

I installed a SD JB in the neck position on my Gibson Explorer. the high output sounded good with the right mood. I have reinstalled it in the bridge position on a epi Les Paul. The JB is made for the bridge position. In my opinion.

Comment

I have always been a fan of a hot pup in the neck - for soloing.

There are a lot of old skool guys who used SuperDistortions in the neck. I cite Gary Richrath. Give his solo tone a listen off a Decade of Rock and Roll live.

The JB is the same deal. If you want to shred off the neck, great choice! Zerb was a fan of this here.
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
                          The KV2 I bought brand new in 2009 most certainly had a JB in the neck and I believe they kept them that way until recently changing it to a 59' model. It may have just been a King V thing

Yes, the KV2 (and maybe the import KV3 or KV4) had dual JBs.

Comment

my old jackson rhodes had a jb neck and distortion bridge. it sounded awesome for hard rock and metal. crunchy rhythm with the bridge, fat singing solos with the neck. cleans... well in the middle position with some chorus, it worked.

Comment

when you are rocking out hard, the amp distortion has already put a hard ceiling on the volume. What you do get is the EQ curve and tone though.
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X