banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone tried a Jazz/Custom bridge hybrid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone tried a Jazz/Custom bridge hybrid?

Been looking up some info on hybrids, but haven't see mention of this one. Maybe it sounds too bad "in theory" to even try? I don't know about the theory that lead to hybrids, so that ignorance on my part could tell a lot.

My guess though is that the theory is to simply match the characteristics of two different coils to get a desired outcome. But being that I still need more knowledge of electronics and all it's terminology, I wouldn't be surprised if I was over-simplifying with that guess.

But if my guess is right, then maybe the Jazz being a bit higher in treble and lower in bass than say the 59 could make for too shrill of a match with the Custom as a hybrid?

Re: Anyone tried a Jazz/Custom bridge hybrid?

You can’t assume what a hybrid sounds like by what the two pickups sound like individually. It’s not always additive. I have a Pearly / A2P (which is a Jazz coil) hybrid, and it doesn’t have strong sound qualities like either pickup. Sometimes the combination nullifies the identifiable characteristics of each individual coil. But you never know until you try it yourself.

FYI There was a forum pickup a couple years ago that was a 59/Jazz neck hybrid to match the 59/Custom bridge production model. If you find that thread, skip to the last couple posts for the evaluation by a respected member who installed it and you can get a feel for how different a hybrid comes out compared to the original source pickups.

Comment

How does it sound compared to it's parents?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

What kind of magnet would it have?
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
          How does it sound compared to it's parents?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
          Technically, it has the brightness inherited by both, but it’s not Pearly-bright (doesn’t require rolling off the tone a bit) and not scoopy Jazz nor heavy mid A2P (it has an A2 mag in it.) It’s sounds like a very even PAF neck without the mid-bump/honk part. It’s like a lower power 59/A4 with some top end presence added back in. Great even neck, but hard to tell the pedigree from the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            What kind of magnet would it have?
            Alnico 5. Could try ceramic. These are the only two mags I've tried so far, they seem best for the hard rock and metal stuff I play. But maybe I should go outside the box sometime...

Comment

Working...
            X