banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My PRS Starla SE - Antique White (Review)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My PRS Starla SE - Antique White (Review)

Moved to the US in February, leaving my guitar rigs in PR. After months with just a Fender PM-4CE, I just needed an electric. I purchased a Fender Electron Green Player (MX) Guitar, but the seller sold the guitar to another buyer. After seeing other guitars (and even considering a Gibson LP, a E-II Eclipse and others), I went with this PRS Starla SE...

Amazing construction, painting and finishing. I really like the bridge pickup. I can play some good power chords rhythms with it. The neck can do the Slash thing just fine = first time I play ''Sweet Child O' Mine'' with the same exact tone. I always use my tone knob very high @ 8 or 10 in this guitar. These pickups seem to be naturally dark, but I can get better tones playing the guitar using a software like BIAS FX. Still haven't played using a ''real amp''. I really dig the WIDE FAT neck this PRS has. Very chunky in a good way, and I can play flawlessly here.

CONS: Strings never stay in tune at all!

Planning to replace tuners and pickups in the future, but it's pretty good as it's from the factory.
    Check out my solo singer/songwriter/guitarist work on Facebook!
    Follow Me on Twitter!

Re: My PRS Starla SE - Antique White (Review)

Great looking guitar. I love wide fat necks.

Comment

Originally posted by richard parker View Post
      Great looking guitar. I love wide fat necks.
      They're actually pretty neat. Kinda intrigued me when I was about to order it. For me, this is the perfect rhythm guitar. It can also do leads, but the vibe of this guitar neck is just for that. A single pickup version of this guitar would be nice. The only cons I can find is that it doesn't like to stay in tune much. Planning to replace the tuners soon. I also dislike the switching system, and would prefer the regular (Gibson style) 3-Way Toggle Switch. I have seen that PRS prefers this switching style. Would much prefer Fender's 5 way. It's more reliable and ''faster'' to use. I mainly use bridge/neck, no middle position unless it's really needed.
      Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

Are those the stock pickups??

What is the switching? Looks like a 5-way?
        -=The Dali
        --== Unabashed Alex Lifeson Fan

Visit My Guitar Building Blog at www.hammersandchords.com

Comment

Beautiful guitar! Before you replace the tuners, have the nut looked at. That may be what you need to stay in tune.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by The Dali View Post
            Are those the stock pickups??

What is the switching? Looks like a 5-way?
            Yes! They seem to be Filtertron style pickups, similar, but hotter than the TV Jones Classics (according to a review. They go by the name of DS-02 (Treble & Bass).
            It's a 3 way-switch. I would prefer a 5-way switch*

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            Beautiful guitar! Before you replace the tuners, have the nut looked at. That may be what you need to stay in tune.
            I'll definitely take it for a pro setup in the future. COVID has closed many places where I live at. I will also use other gauge of strings. Still trying to decide if I should go with 10's or 11's..
            Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

Congrats! That guitar is definitely a looker.

It's always been the case with PRS SE's that they come stock with pretty crappy tuners and nuts that only fit 9's (and are kinda cheap quality as well). Once you replace those, you've got yourself a pretty solid guitar that rivals anything out there.

I myself am not huge on the wide fat neck on my PRS SE, but the guitar as a whole is solid, so I've learned to live with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                Congrats! That guitar is definitely a looker.

It's always been the case with PRS SE's that they come stock with pretty crappy tuners and nuts that only fit 9's (and are kinda cheap quality as well). Once you replace those, you've got yourself a pretty solid guitar that rivals anything out there.

I myself am not huge on the wide fat neck on my PRS SE, but the guitar as a whole is solid, so I've learned to live with it.
                Just read your comment and looked at the guitar nut. WOAW! You're totally correct! It's too small to fix bigger strings. I imagine a Black TUSQ XL and some Gotoh 510 tuners should fit nicely here. As you said, the guitar is well built, but some things have to be addressed. I just got a question about working with this guitar. Does anybody own a USA, S2 or SE Starla too? I know some Tele players use them because of the pickup configuration, and controls. Would love a McCarthy S2 Singlecut in the future, but this one would do for now. I was tired of being bored at my apartment. Miss my guitars back at home.
                Follow Me on Twitter!

Comment

Working...
                X