Invader mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Invader mods

Hi! Is there any easy invader mods that would make little less bass heavy and maybe have little more highs?

Lähetetty minun POT-LX1 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Re: Invader mods

You might like it in parallel better. (bigger change)
    Another mod is replacing the big pole caps with dimarzio style hex-bolts. (subtle change)

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
      You might like it in parallel better. (bigger change)
      Another mod is replacing the big pole caps with dimarzio style hex-bolts. (subtle change)
      I've been thinking of changing the pole pieces but it's so damn hard to find correct size screws that are not stainless steel here where I live. I have been able to find some M5x12m hex screws that were shiny zinc plated(or something idk how to translate it) but I don't know would those work.
      Last edited by EJJS; 06-27-2020, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Take the pole pieces out of a Dimarzio super distortion and replace the button hexes in the invader with them. That will tighten it up and brighten it up. You can buy the pole pieces separately direct from Dimarzio if you ask.

Comment

A parallel switch will provide the biggest change. You can also split it too, but you will lose the hum-canceling.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I've been waiting for Dimarzio to email me once they can send me a few sets of their screws for this very mod. In the meantime, might as well just get another Super Distortion...always can use another one. Doesn't matter anyways, my son stole the Invader for his Hamer project so now I gotta get another Invader. I have an Invader set occupying a guitar and they don't need modded at all. I have a Single Humbucker guitar I pieced together and wanted to try out the liberator, that's what the extra Invader was in...till boy asked for it. Now he wants a single coil Invader to go with it. Should've thought the whole teach the son to play guitar thing thru...now I gotta fund 2 guitarist!
            Probably didn't help OP, I ramble. I do love Invaders though (along with many others) and besides having the Detonator which is same look/different tone as Invader, the screw change is easy mod to try. When I do get another Invader, I'm going to compare stock screws, Dimarzio screws, then switch each coil screws. Also wanna try out 3 Dimarzio screws just on low 3 strings. BTW, run the Invader full bore and split...probably my favorite split pickup. I hate that the Invader is frowned upon in most circles.
            Last edited by Jigsisme; 06-27-2020, 09:18 PM.
            Guitars:
            2019 PRS CE24, 2002 Carvin, 2010 Epiphone 335 dot, custom tele, 5 Peavey V Type's (DMZ SD/paf pro, JB/59, JB8/Jazz, EMG 57/66, and Full shred) Esp/Ltd (Invader set), Jackson DKMGT (EMG 81/85)
            Amps: Orange Dual Dark 100, Dark Terror, Micro Dark, CR120, EVH 5153 50w
            Cabs:Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12, EVH 4x12/2x12, Geezer 2x12 with v30's

Comment

Man, taking out the hex bolts of an Invader,

is kinda like removing the V-twin from a Harley Davidson xD

I vote for a series/parallell/split switch.
              If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Actually, I find the Invader to be better balanced and less dark with regular hex poles. By reducing the mass of the pole pieces, you're reducing the inductance, which brightens the pickup noticeably. It'll still sound like an Invader, but should give you exactly what you're after (less bass, more highs)

Comment

Well I've been thinking of selling/trading the pickup. I think I'm gonna try to sell it and if nobody wants to buy/trade it I'm doing the mod.

Lähetetty minun POT-LX1 laitteesta Tapatalkilla

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                    Actually, I find the Invader to be better balanced and less dark with regular hex poles. By reducing the mass of the pole pieces, you're reducing the inductance, which brightens the pickup noticeably. It'll still sound like an Invader, but should give you exactly what you're after (less bass, more highs)
                    Would you call that an Invader-lite or a Distortion-extra? lol

(OP)
                    Seems like a great mod if you want the same output (resulting in the same gain/saturation), but a slightly brighter tone.
                    Wiring parallel will give a brighter tone with less output too. Just depends what you are after.

I prefer the tb8 Invader in guitars that need extra beef, and the stock-form is utter perfection in those cases.
                    Last edited by dave74; 06-29-2020, 01:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X