Best Amp Settings for Classic Rock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Amp Settings for Classic Rock?

I think the "think like classic rock" is spot on.

But in the end - every amp, every song is different. You have to learn the amp and use your ears.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by vinta9e View Post
      Best amp settings are found by ear, not by numbers.
      Agreed . . . with one caveat. Don't start messing with your amp settings after a two hour gig at high volume. You need to set everything up at the volume you're going to play at . . . but while your ears are fresh.
      Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
      This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

EQ settings don't matter for sweet old school tones if you're using a Randall Satan or something.

First get your gear right, then EQ settings won't matter as much. My friend's Vox AC15 sounds like classic rock no matter what EQ you use.

Also, classic rock was loud as balls. So crank your **** up.
        Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
        Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
        Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
        Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

There's some great advice in here and pretty illuminating around the different amps!

My ideal classic rock sound is beefy mids and just a tad loose in the low end, with raspy highs when pushed. Guitar volume on 6-7 I have a round and sparkly dynamic clean, vol on 10 is a good mid-gain lead sound

My main amp is my Mesa so before I reach for the Graphic EQ, I am happy on Ch 2 with drive pushed in at 8, tone at 2/6/8 and presence shift pulled. Through 2x12 speakers this is great! Through anything less than a 12" speaker I don't think I'd be as happy. But this is totally based off this amp's qualities.

So what do you prefer OP? Are you in the bassy camp or the tight high cutting camp?

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
          • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
          • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
          • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
          • G&L Tribute Comanche
          • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
          • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
          • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

All excellent feedback, thanks everyone.

Soon as I get my guitar back from the shop will be having some fun with all this

Comment

Originally posted by playas View Post
              The post above about using your ears is highly important.

Bearing in mind you're starting out with an lp straight through an Orange (I'm not familiar with individual models of either and I wouldn't use anything else unless you think it actively adds something) I'd try starting from baseline of having the gain a bit less then you think is what they were using playing also with the volume, and treble bass and mids all rolled back to zero, then slowly crank the mids until you think you are close, add potentially plenty of bass.

At this stage I'd hope you're getting reasonably close, adjust treble to taste and once you're close then play with the gain & volume again to make final adjustments, bearing in mind it may need more or conceivably less gain than you think.

If you're playing through an 8" speaker I doubt you'll get the bass sounding like you want, but hopefully good enough to make you happy.

Bear in mind that I'm not an expert and this is how I would approach it, based on a quick listen back to Bad Company and Shooting Star based on the crunchy rhythm tones i.e. it's opinion. Most importantly, use you ears to judge.

HTH

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using Tapatalk
              Using this suggestion (and an old back up guitar) I ended up at Bass 6 / Mid 10 / Treb 7 on the Orange 20RT and a big muff pi; got pretty darn close to this Bad Company sound - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWWVQISpVaw

Comment

Anyone trying to cop Bad Company tones is alright in my book! Another great set of classic rock tones = early Foreigner, up to Juke Box Hero or so.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                  Start by diming everything, then just roll back the bits that sound bad. If you want to play classic rock, you have to start by thinking like classic rock.
                  That is great advise if you have a passive EQ amp like a Marshall or fender .
                  But a active EQ amp like a Mesa , Carvin and many newer amps you should start at 5 (halfway) then boost or cut the tone .

Comment

Best Amp Settings for Classic Rock?

Originally posted by Spirit of 76 View Post
                    Using an Orange 20RT and a Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker through a Epiphone Les Paul Classic (currently getting a set of Whole Lotta Humbuckers installed).

I see a lot of people talking about upping mids, and have done that with some success, but something still seems off. Of course any settings will need a tweak once I have the new pickups in.

Really like the sound from Bad Company or at least something similar.
                    Are you using the Big Muff as your main source of distortion? You won’t get the tone you want that way.

Bad Company was a 100 watt Marshall

Mick Ralphs said this in an interview:

“Q: What did you use to record the first couple of Bad Company albums?

I used the Fender Esquire for rhythm because it’s always nice and clean. Then I used the Les Paul Junior for the lead parts…always through a 100w Marshall, usually without effects.

I did use a pedal on songs like “Bad Company” – a Morley, which is a big foot pedal that gave me almost a Leslie-like effect, very watery. I was always trying to get a Leslie effect, but every time I’d use a Leslie on the road it wasn’t loud enough.

Then people started making phasers and flangers. I got into using an MXR Phase 90, and then the Phase 100 when they came out with that – it has more sweep.

My guitar used to go through an MXR phaser into an Echoplex, and then into the amp. That’s all the gadgets I’ve ever used, except for a wah-wah that I used once…. But that effect got so overdone I just didn’t want to use it [anymore].”

Just crank up the Orange. They are different sounding than a Marshall, but you should get close.

Use your ears. Don’t worry how the knobs are set. And don’t use the Big Muff for your main guitar tone unless you want a fuzzy tone. That’s more for solos. And again, only if you want that tone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Delighted you found a sound you're happy with.[emoji122]

I personally think that the best way to get your own cool rock tones is to learn to play without the pedals first.

They can always be added to make a great tone even better... getting used to pedals first seems to create a dependency whereas playing straight through will oblige you to use your fingers to get the best out of the guitar and amp. [emoji16]

(...and as mentioned above, those sounds are largely guitar [emoji3591] 100w Marshall)

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Marshall plexi circuit, volume at "10".

Through greenbacks.

Comment

Working...
                        X