Overwound 59B anyone ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overwound 59B anyone ?

Has anyone had a 59B overwound to bump the mids up like a JB , maybe 9k output range ?
    Love the 59 set and wondering if it's worth the CS price to have this done , not sure what it would sound like .

Re: Overwound 59B anyone ?

You don't need to overwind it. You can simply put an alnico 2 magnet in the 59B and that'll bump up the mids. I used a roughcast A2.
    “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

PG+ solves my problem with '59b. Vintage-hot. Just exactly what I need without paying CS price. And there's also WLH.

Comment

Originally posted by elelpe View Post
        PG+ solves my problem with '59b. Vintage-hot. Just exactly what I need without paying CS price. And there's also WLH.
        This does sound exactly like what he’s asking for. I didn’t love mine in the big Apple I had but it is definitely the closest match for what he describes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
          You don't need to overwind it. You can simply put an alnico 2 magnet in the 59B and that'll bump up the mids. I used a roughcast A2.
          This is exactly what I thought, too. A very overwound 59 is essentially the Custom 5, and it has almost no mids. You would need an A2 magnet in there for that.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

i agree with elelpe:
            Whole lotta humbucker set would be worth a shot
            Last edited by ToneFiddler; 06-26-2020, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              This is exactly what I thought, too. A very overwound 59 is essentially the Custom 5, and it has almost no mids. You would need an A2 magnet in there for that.
              How so , doesn't the Custom 5 use different wire ?
              Tried the A2 and it did bump the mids , I would like stronger mids like a JB but in a lower wind .

Comment

How about a alnico 8 magnet

Comment

i had a 9.4k antiquity and 10k antiquity and they are both amazing pups, the 10k helped kick off the brobucker project. cant really go higher than 10k with #42 wire and normal bobbins and i believe they used min-nom for the 10k.

Comment

Originally posted by JB6464 View Post
                    Correct, the Custom 5 is not anything like an overwound 59 because the wire gauge is different. (and insulation for that matter) The Custom 5 doesn’t teach anything about what an overwound 59 would sound like, with all due respect to Mincer.

Comment

Originally posted by pittbull View Post
                      How about a alnico 8 magnet
                      I think this is the easiest solution. If you want the exact sound of the JB, you can hybrid the JB with a vintage output coil such as the 59. I did it with a Seth and it sounds great. If you don't want to make hybrids, there are other middy lower output humbuckers like the WLB as people mentioned or the Jason Becker.
                      Last edited by Clint 55; 06-26-2020, 06:47 PM.
                      The things that you wanted
                      I bought them for you

Comment

Whole Lotta Humbucker was my first thought. It's like an improved 59.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                          Whole Lotta Humbucker was my first thought. It's like an improved 59.
                          Yes, me too because of the OP title (overwound/rounder/warmer/middier '59).

but now i think, it does not sound close to a JB at all, but it turns out that's what PMJB6464 really wants.

doesn't Dimarzio have some of those mid heavy PAF style pickups?

Comment

Originally posted by JB6464 View Post
                            Tried the A2 and it did bump the mids , I would like stronger mids like a JB but in a lower wind .
                            I am talking EQ-wise, not construction-wise.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The pearly gates plus is just about 9k and A5 rather than A2. It is more 59 than pg from what I seen. I would give it a try.

Comment

Working...
                              X