X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Monitors for recording beginner

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
    There are some pretty flat heatsets available for 200.00

That's probably the cheapest vs effective route to go depending on your budget.
    That's not unreasonable money for a monitoring solution, whether speakers or headphones.

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Comment

What kind of interface are you using?

I'm in the same kind of space, and I stick with the Kali monitor recommendation, you won't outgrow them anytime soon, and they are front ported so you won't get the boomy bass from having a rear port close to a wall. They also have an EQ settings for the "close to wall" and another bass rolloff if you need it.

See page 11 - https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...l_May_2020.pdf

A nice set of headphones is good to, but they get tiring to me for too long.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
        What kind of interface are you using?
        Right now I am just using my line 6 hx stomp and going direct with that. In amongst all the other things I find it useful for, it seems to work well as an interface.

I have a mic and an amp that I am very happy with as well, so a dedicated interface will probably follow in due course, particularly if recording the band

Comment

So you would be running the monitors from the HX?

Comment

So you would be running the monitors from the HX?
            I guess a small disclaimer in that I am only getting started in this world of recording so I am still finding out how everything works.

Intention is to monitor from the computer, of course part of it is to assist for mixing and so on. Flexibility if it could go via the stomp directly is potentially nice I expect.

Comment

If you are planning on monitoring from the computer, I would definitely put an interface on your list, monitoring from the little 3.2/1/8" headphone jack is definitely not optimum, not to mention, it will take multiple cords and converters to get them to the 1/4" inputs of the monitors.

Comment

If you are planning on monitoring from the computer, I would definitely put an interface on your list, monitoring from the little 3.2/1/8" headphone jack is definitely not optimum, not to mention, it will take multiple cords and converters to get them to the 1/4" inputs of the monitors.
                Well, this is embarrassing and showing how much I know... I presumed, thinking of traditional signal flow to listen to recorded tracks, click track, and anything else all at once that I would have to listen through the computer - as if the signal traffic was all one way. Following your comment and plugging into the hx stomp I have only just realised I can listen to everything via that.

Other stuff makes sense as a result. Thanks!

Last edited by Mr Wolf; 06-29-2020, 12:38 PM.

Comment

It's hard to predict whether a computer's line out is good quality or not. Modern DAC are all reasonably good. Electric interference might be a problem, but if not a recent mainboard probably has something usable. Some gaming boards have pretty high end audio.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                    It's hard to predict whether a computer's line out is good quality or not. Modern DAC are all reasonably good. Electric interference might be a problem, but if not a recent mainboard probably has something usable. Some gaming boards have pretty high end audio.
                    Thus far it seems I can do either, although from a hit of quick reading, running through the interface seems to be the done thing. It has the benefit of taking more than just a little headphone socket at least. No idea of whether there is a sound quality issue yet by linking up monitors to the computer

Comment

Working...
                    X