Pearly Gates neck and Seth Bridge on a Gibson Les Paul Standard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pearly Gates neck and Seth Bridge on a Gibson Les Paul Standard

I've been doing some research, especially on this forum, and it's all coming down to a Seth b + PG n; any final thoughts before I pull the trigger? I currently have BB Pros and I just haven't fallen in love with them...

Re: Pearly Gates neck and Seth Bridge on a Gibson Les Paul Standard

Would work fine, but depends on the music you are playing and the amp you are using.

Other alternates I've tried:
    PGB, JazzN
    Seth set
    PGB, Seth neck
    PG set
    Jazz set
    Jazz bridge, Seth neck
    59N in the bridge, JazzN
    Whole Lotta Humbucker set
    Brobucker bridge, 59/A4 neck
    Slash bridge, 59/A4 neck
    A2P set
    Custom Custom, A2P neck

...for a start

Comment

How does the 59 perform compared to the PG bridge? I've also considered the slash set but I want to keep the split coil on the neck.

Comment

Other people complain the 59 is scooped. I must think of scooped as somewhat normal. For me, a 59 sounds thick enough in the middle but lacks the extreme highs and lows that some other pickups have. Pearly, to me in my LP, sounds like it has more high treble (think like Fender bright, not quite twang but bright) and a bit more chunk on the lows than my 59s do (muted chords with my 59s sound a little weak, whereas with a Pearly muted chords sound 'right'). But that is my LP Studio (chambered) through my Orange AD50, RambleFX MarvelDrive, Tech21 SansAmp and any other MIAB I have.

Comment

I prefer the opposite, myself. PG neck is a tad too bright for the neck position, and Seth bridge lacks sufficient treble for the bridge position, for my taste.

My favorite combination of PG and Seth is a Seth neck in the neck position, and a PG neck in the bridge position.

When I use Seths in both positions, I use two neck models, with the highest measured DCR of the two placed in the bridge position. The little bit of extra output can help balance the volumes, and the difference in winds is usually minor enough that it doesn’t make the bridge pickup sound overwound (a sound I don’t like).
          Last edited by ItsaBass; 06-26-2020, 01:53 PM.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

The PG is brighter than the Seth. The Seth is also unpotted. It really depends on the EQ you need/want, and the level of dynamics that is important to you. If you use maybe Plexi Marshall levels of gain at the most, and a lot of clean, you would dig the Seths. If you play heavier stuff, with a more preamp gain, and you need help cutting through, the PG is great.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I would generally say....

Seth Set

Seth neck, PG Bridge

PG Set

PG neck, 59 Bridge

However...there are things to be said for a 59 neck PG Bridge too....
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

If you use maybe Plexi Marshall levels of gain at the most, and a lot of clean, you would dig the Seths. [/QUOTE]

I went for the Seths: they're awesome! The most overdrive I'll go for is a Tumnus at 12 o'clock and the Seths chime... Just made me wonder, why does Gibson deliver a Les Paul that doesn't sound like a Les Paul? Like the old Huey Lewis song "sometimes bad is bad"

Comment

Originally posted by Flores_68 View Post
                  If you use maybe Plexi Marshall levels of gain at the most, and a lot of clean, you would dig the Seths.
                  I went for the Seths: they're awesome! The most overdrive I'll go for is a Tumnus at 12 o'clock and the Seths chime... Just made me wonder, why does Gibson deliver a Les Paul that doesn't sound like a Les Paul? Like the old Huey Lewis song "sometimes bad is bad"[/QUOTE]

The Seths are indeed awesome in every guitar I've tried them in.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Flores_68 View Post
                    Just made me wonder, why does Gibson deliver a Les Paul that doesn't sound like a Les Paul?
                    There are a significant number of Seymour Duncan pickup sets that I've always thought would make better stock pickup sets than anything Gibson has. Each touches a different era of Gibons or artist sound, but many SD sets would be better factory options than anything Gibson has stock currently.

Comment

Working...
                    X