I done dit it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I done dit it

I got the double thick magnets bonded and magnetized. The charge doesn't feel that strong though. I used the clamp and put plastic on each of the rare earth magnets then stuck the unmagnetized mag in and brought the clamp down then brought the clamp back out. Wondering if there's a better process or if I should repeat the process to get the charge stronger. Also, the magnetizer charges the side of the unmagnetized mag the same pole as the charging magnet right? I supposed there could be something about the nature of the double thick mag that makes the charge seem less strong. I'm just testing it against the perceived charge of regular thickness mags. I have a gauss meter on the way that I guess I could use to be more scientific about it.

Last edited by Clint 55; 06-26-2020, 01:49 PM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Re: I done dit it

The clamp seems to work pretty well. I redid one in the clamp without the plastic spacers and it grabbed the opposite pole then when I brought the clamp down it flipped the poles to the same pole as the mags in the clamp. Then when I tested the strength by feel it felt about the same. I think it feels weak cuz they're UOs and different shape than the regular thickness ones. I'll have to wait until my gauss meter gets here. I'm sure if I try out the homemade double thick mag it will probably work fine.
    I bought them for you

Comment

Hang in there. Hope my doublethink a2 project isnt this much fun
      Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Thx. And I lost my spacers dag nab it!
        I bought them for you

Comment

I’m not convinced that sticking two magnets together to make them thicker works. I’ve tried it a few times.

If you are magnetizing with stringer magnets like neos, the poles face like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Here’s a double thick Alnico 5 magnet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I see, thanks. Helpful to have some input since there's almost nothing online. So it makes it the opposite pole of the magnetizing magnet. Evidently I got sticking 2 magnets together to work. Cermag said it's legit so I just did what they said. Got unmagnetized mags, epox-d them together, then magnetized them. Gonna try A2/A5 in my 80s 59b in neck position of my jazz ax soon.
              I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                Gonna try A2/A5 in my 80s 59b in neck position of my jazz ax soon.
                You mean a stacked A2/A5...like two different types of magnets bonded as one?

Comment

Yap. I was happy waiting almost a month for cermag then when I realized how easy magnetizing is I thought I should just do it. Then I can mix mags and make them for others.
                  I bought them for you

Comment

I supposed there could be something about the nature of the double thick mag that makes the charge seem less strong. I'm just testing it against the perceived charge of regular thickness mags.
                    If the bonding and charging were done properly, a double-thick mag should be noticeably stronger than a standard thickness mag of the same type.

Comment

... I used the clamp and put plastic on each of the rare earth magnets then stuck the unmagnetized mag in and brought the clamp down then brought the clamp back out. ...

The clamp seems to work pretty well. I redid one in the clamp without the plastic spacers and it grabbed the opposite pole then when I brought the clamp down it flipped the poles to the same pole as the mags in the clamp. ...
                      Pics or it didn't happen
                      Seriously, i think some pics would help

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                        If the bonding and charging were done properly, a double-thick mag should be noticeably stronger than a standard thickness mag of the same type.
                        That's what I would assume. My gauss meter arrives today so I'll be able to check. I'll post pictures. Maybe you guys can give me some tips. I just did what's pictured in drm's pic.
                        Last edited by Clint 55; 06-29-2020, 02:01 PM.
                        I bought them for you

Comment

curious how the a2/a5 bonded will work out and betcha itll sound different depending on which side is on top (touching the bobbin, keeper and studs)

Comment

The double thick mags are indeed measuring about twice as high gauss wise as a regular thickness mag, although they don't feel stronger. Doing what's pictured in drm's pic seemed to magnetize better than having some space between the magnets.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200630_133214.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	5820964
                            Last edited by Clint 55; 06-30-2020, 01:36 PM.
                            I bought them for you

Comment

you want to get the adjustable jaw very close but not touching, just like drm's pic. a bigger gap will give you less strength.

Comment

Working...
                              X