Height of vibrato bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Height of vibrato bridge

Can you damage the guitar if the vibrato bridge is that high?

Re: Height of vibrato bridge

Your link is fubar.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

no
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I’ve had my strats like that before. It’s not a problem, won’t damage anything.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
          Your link is fubar.
          Sorry about that. Here's another photo I found that resembles the height I'm talking about.

Comment

Does the Fender Strat vibrato bridge have to be aligned with the body of the guitar?

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne27 View Post
              Does the Fender Strat vibrato bridge have to be aligned with the body of the guitar?
              Old style - no

New style (two post): it should, for most purposes, be aligned with the fretboard, as a starting point. Fenders often have shims, so the fretboards aren't always perfectly parallel to the body. The only thing moving it changes is how dramatically the vibrato reacts when you use it. Lean the bridge back, and the vibrato reacts more slowly. Lean it forward, and it reacts more quickly. Parallel to the fretboard is the starting point medium.
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              Yogi Berra was correct.
              Originally posted by JOLLY
              I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I don't think you can damage anything, but I'd question why that might be better than just having it level. I'd think that it might be uncomfortable for your wrist, though.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

You can pull sharp and it’s easier to work in either direction if it’s raised a bit. When it’s level, usually it’s stiffer.

Comment

I would pull it down considerably just for the fact of not having barely any range of dipping and I'm sure your action is ridiculously high and intonation is out since the saddles are further forward at that extreme angle. IMHO any vintage 2-6 point bridge or Floyd works best level. IMHO The guitar is going to play and sound much better with it setup properly.
                    Last edited by Mr. 80's; 06-27-2020, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Cool! So there’s no height limit for Fender strat bridge to float?

Comment

The limit is where the strings are no longer contacting the bridge saddles. But that is extreme.

Comment

I totally remember playing my Strat with the bridge like that for awhile before I managed to get it level. That was like 18 years ago!

You might not damage anything now but if that is really your ideal playing position (as in, if that is most comfortable for you) I'm not sure how sustainable that is. Something tells me it puts undue pressure on the trem posts

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
                          • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                          • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                          • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                          • G&L Tribute Comanche
                          • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                          • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                          • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

I too remember having a beginner guitar with a bridge like that, action a mile high, etc...

For me the upper limit is when you can pull an open G sharp a minor third. That puts the B at a major second and the e at a minor second. Cool for faux pedal steel bends.
                            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                              I too remember having a beginner guitar with a bridge like that, action a mile high, etc...

For me the upper limit is when you can pull an open G sharp a minor third. That puts the B at a major second and the e at a minor second. Cool for faux pedal steel bends.
                              This was possible for me on a TransTrem, but I could never do this on a Strat bridge and have the chord remain in tune.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                              X