Height of vibrato bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Height of vibrato bridge

Most of the comments are incorrect. Beau, Ehd, and Itsa are correct. It won't hurt anything. It doesn't cause more stress to the posts (the anchor spot is still the same, and the tension is still the same). The saddles can still adjust intonation. You can still slack the strings til they are totally limp.

It can raise the action, but you can put shims under the neck to correct that. Your guitar can still be set up to play perfectly with a high trem.

Having the trem high just allows you to work the trem in both directions, both raising and lowering the pitch.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I think it is still uncomfortable for the right hand, even if it isn't physically doing any damage.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
        Most of the comments are incorrect. Beau, Ehd, and Itsa are correct. It won't hurt anything. It doesn't cause more stress to the posts (the anchor spot is still the same, and the tension is still the same). The saddles can still adjust intonation. You can still slack the strings til they are totally limp.

It can raise the action, but you can put shims under the neck to correct that. Your guitar can still be set up to play perfectly with a high trem.

Having the trem high just allows you to work the trem in both directions, both raising and lowering the pitch.
        Never did say it couldn't be re intonated just that it's more than likely out now and never said it would hurt anything either, just the guitar will play and sound better setup properly. He could still lower it considerably and have travel both ways and more than likely will not have to re intonate or shim the neck. Or he can leave as is and re do everything. There's a right way and wrong way to do things and with this case it's the wrong way. If we were talking a 2 point trem or Floyd where you can raise the entire bridge i would agree more with you, but not a 6 point. I stand by my statement 100%, been setting up trems for way too many years.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. 80's View Post
          Never did say it couldn't be re intonated just that it's more than likely out now and never said it would hurt anything either, just the guitar will play and sound better setup properly. He could still lower it considerably and have travel both ways and more than likely will not have to re intonate or shim the neck. Or he can leave as is and re do everything. There's a right way and wrong way to do things and with this case it's the wrong way. If we were talking a 2 point trem or Floyd where you can raise the entire bridge i would agree more with you, but not a 6 point. I stand by my statement 100%, been setting up trems for way too many years.
          Well, in your first post you said there is "barely any range of dipping". That simply is not true. The bridge isn't extremely high, but it is possible even at that angle to make the strings go completely slack.
          You said that the "intonation is out". You don't know that. It could be perfectly intonated. There is certainly nothing about that bridge angle preventing it from intonating as good as is possible at the bridge.
          Yes, indeed, you said "The guitar is going to play and sound much better with it setup properly". That is an obvious statement applicable to ANY guitar. It really has no specific relation to this particular situation.
          There is not only a "right way and wrong way to do things". Sometimes there is a better or worse way. Sometimes there is just a "different" way. This is just a perfectly acceptable "different way".
          You may not have noticed, but that IS a 2 point trem!
          "I stand by my statement 100%". Are you sure you want to do that? Because you will be wrong...not 100% wrong, but certainly NOT 100% correct.
          Finally, I've probably been setting up trems (and everything else on guitars) since before you were even born, so don't throw out that card believing that it actually means anything...especially if you've been setting up trems incorrectly all those "many years".
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
          X