Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebony Bridge Pins - Crosby Audio

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to give a shoutout to the new bridge pins I got for my guitar! Super happy with the look of them and I love the sound of them! From them on amazon, Crosby Audio, and had good reviews so thought I'd give them a shot. Just wanted to share!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 5.11.59 PM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	5854650

Re: Ebony Bridge Pins - Crosby Audio

Thanks! I appreciate this, as I might be looking to get new pins soon.
    Now might be a good time to wonder why in this day and age we still design bridges that use pins, but alas, most designs still do.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have thought about getting fresh pins. Both my acoustics have plastic, and this seems like a fairly easy upgrade.

Sorry to hijack, but did you find a noticeable change in tone? If so, what was it?

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Comment

I switched from plastic to the Graph-Tech TUSQ pins, and there was an improvement in sustain, highs and lows.

Comment

Originally posted by eclecticsynergy
          What did the guitar have before, plastic? Am thinking about pin swap options for a couple of acoustics, wood vs bone vs Tusq.
          It had plastic. So it was absolutely an improvement. I haven't done any comparison between a bunch of materials, though. I'd love to know what the differences are.

Comment

Mainly for aesthetics.

It will, however, very slightly effect the tone. The harder the material, the better the connection of the string to guitar. Softer (like plastic) material will absorb some vibration of the strings. Harder material (metal or hardwoods like ebony) are more elastic (as in physics definition, not as in elastic/rubber bands) transferring more of the string energy to the guitar body, increasing volume and tone/treble.

But the saddle and/or bridge itself will have a much greater effect on this than just the pins. The ball ends of the strings are still anchored to the soundboard of the guitar (through the holes in the bridge) which is typically a soft but resonant wood like spruce.
            Last edited by GuitarDoc; 07-01-2020, 09:05 AM.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Cool-

and I can't stress this enough-

Wooden picks!! :o

Once I found them, and tried them- (after 15 long years of using plastic/nylon picks)- i was shocked!! about the tone and feel;
              and I'm never going back.

Those wooden/ebony bridge pins seem like a nice upgrade. Maybe I'll get some for my acoustic, if I can afford them .
              If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

I ended up buying some planet waves ebony pins that I'll install on my 6 string acoustic later today. I figured given the cost, and that I've been using the same plastic pins on this guitar for the last 14 years or so it should be fairly painless to give it a go.

If I really notice an improvement I'll probably do the same for my 12 string.

Comment

They look cool. I just ordered two sets. One for me, and one for my luthier friend. He'll be able to tell me better what their sonic impact is. Film@11.

Comment

I received mine, and found they are too big for the bridge holes. Seems reaming the holes is not an unusual step from what I read. Going to give it a go. I'll try to be careful!

Comment

My new Godin's pins are plastic. I want to try ebony, too.

Comment

Wheehoo! Just got both of mine. Both "pins". Not both sets. Apparently the folks at Crosby Audio don't know that a guitar has six strings. So, someone at Crosby actually opened the pack, (that says "6 pieces" right on it), took out four, and sent me two. For my $35. Not only did you morons just lose me as a customer, but as I'm a guitar tech, all my future customers too.

And a PO or something in the envelope would have been nice. Maybe something that said "Sorry. We're back ordered on those pins, so we just sent two." But no. Nothing. Not even a little sticky note. So goodbye Crosby Audio. Have a great life.

Comment

Oh my!
                          Well send them to this forum, because I ain't ordering from them either, now. I might try Graph Tech's TUSQ in black, or Waverly (but those are $$, I think).

Comment

Sorry. I was a little upset. And one of these sets was supposed to be a birthday present for my luthier friend. I really wanted to get his impression of this product.

And I know we shouldn't bash other companies here.

Comment

I don't like bashing companies that you have no experience with, but knowing about what you experienced will help others. As consumers, that is all we have. Maybe they will make it right, but it doesn't help right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X