Ebony Bridge Pins - Crosby Audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ebony Bridge Pins - Crosby Audio

We will see how it plays out. I filed my claim with Amazon. That's all I can do.

The sad thing is . . . the two I got, look really cool. I hope "they" work this out.

Comment

Sorry Artie, i had to laugh!!

"Just got both of mine. Both "pins". Not both sets. Apparently the folks at Crosby Audio don't know that a guitar has six strings."

gold
      If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

No prob man.

They refunded for one set and are sending out the other. So we'll see what happens.

Comment

Sorry, and glad they worked it out, but I got a great laugh out of receiving both pins too

should of used them, would of been the best way to tell any tonal difference

I've used ebony/bone/brass/some other woods when I break one, just random chunks of whatever ......I usually stick with bone as it's mostly what my saddles/nuts are as well.........it's not as big of change from plastic/other as a nut and saddle is, but its noticeable. My newest bone set came with nice little abalone inlays too, it's pretty if that helps

Comment

I notice that StewMac has some Waverly ebony pins for a little less money. Almost half price if you forgo the abalone inlays.

Shop Guitar Endpins and Bridge Pins at StewMac. 100% satisfaction guaranteed. StewMAX FREE Shipping!

Comment

Now that I think about it, I wonder how wood bridge pins do in a super humid environment. I am sure they've been used for years, but I wonder if it is something to worry about. I have used TUSQ pins, which look great, and seem to increase the very low lows and high highs.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                Now that I think about it, I wonder how wood bridge pins do in a super humid environment. I am sure they've been used for years, but I wonder if it is something to worry about. I have used TUSQ pins, which look great, and seem to increase the very low lows and high highs.
                I've never noticed an issue......in fact I think it may help using a wood as opposed to a metal/plastic/bone as they'll have, of course depending on density, but roughly the same give/take that the rest of the wood especially your bridge/top does

Have had an entire wood setup(rosewood) pins/saddle/nut before and stayed together great tune-wise albeit not 440hz but always in with itself regardless of temp/humidity

Comment

Some people say bridge pin material doesn't add a lot to the tone...I don't know as I don't have enough experience testing different material. The only reasons I've changed them before is because they were plastic, and one broke. So I took that as an opportunity to try TUSQ, which did, indeed, sound better than plastic.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

That's good to know that there can be a difference. My replacement set should arrive today. If they sound really good, I'll forgive them.

Comment

Yeah let us know if you notice any difference, its weird sometimes I haven't but usually just in sustain alone I can.

Yeah its no massive upgrade, but if you've already forked out a lot of money for something special might as well go a little further. Biggest differences I've seen is in the already cheap under $500 range, as most of those will just be plastic even if has a better nut/saddle combo than your $100 stuff, and can be a tonal game changer.

I've yet to use the TUSQ stuff for anything, I think I've had some saddles, but not sure.....but have heard good things, might give it a go with whatever I happen to acquire next

Comment

Ok . . . this is cool. Since I only have one set, I took them over to my luthier friend, (who's totally acoustic-centric), so that he could evaluate them. He told me he's been using ebony pins for decades. So I brought them back home. Can't wait to try 'em out.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wolf View Post
                          I have thought about getting fresh pins. Both my acoustics have plastic, and this seems like a fairly easy upgrade.

Sorry to hijack, but did you find a noticeable change in tone? If so, what was it?

Sent from my H8314 using Tapatalk

Yeah I feel like I can notice a difference in the sustain mostly, and a bit more clarity it seems

Comment

Tusq pins went into my Taylor 710CE in lieu of its ebony and into my 2004 D18 replacing the factory plastic pins. Both guitars sound better. Good change.

I replaced plastic pins with bone pins from Maury's Music in six of my Martins. Dramatic change in all of them, EXCEPT...in my 2010 D-41. Still a change for the positive, but just less noticeable than the other guitars.

I like bone.

Bill
                            When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Artie, too bad about your experience, but very funny way you expressed it.

Yeah, there are too many options out there to have to worry about that kind of ignorance from a seller.

Originally Posted by IanBallard
                              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I'll say it "one last time"-

WOODEN PICKS!

after discovering "timber tones" picks 2-3 years ago, I could NEVER go back to regular plastic/nylon kinds.

I recommend all my friends to try one.

sincerely

-Erlend
                                If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X