5 way super switch hum question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 way super switch hum question

on my H-H guitar i'd like to have a neck singlecoil sound on one of the settings (probably 2nd notch on the switch), but is it possible to make it hum cancelling somehow??

the rest of the positions will be

1: Neck humbucker
    2: Neck singlecoil - hum cancelling
    3: Neck + Bridge humbuckers
    4: Neck outer coil + Bridge inner coil
    5: Bridge humbucker

If 2 is not possible i guess i could do this instead: (so i still get a quasi-singlecoil sound in position 2)

1: Neck humbucker
    2: Neck outer coil + Bridge inner coil
    3: Neck + Bridge humbuckers
    4: Neck Inner coil + Bridge outer coil
    5: Bridge humbucker

Re: 5 way super switch hum question

The Closest is to have position 4 being the neck humbucker in parallel. Any single coil selected by definition cannot be hum cancelling.

I think the second option is like the PRS version of the superswitch. Its one where you need to have 1 magnet flipped so you get the hum cancelling and in phase for the 2 and 4 selections.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
      The Closest is to have position 4 being the neck humbucker in parallel. Any single coil selected by definition cannot be hum cancelling.

I think the second option is like the PRS version of the superswitch. Its one where you need to have 1 magnet flipped so you get the hum cancelling and in phase for the 2 and 4 selections.
      how does being in phase affect the sound?

Comment

I've done a wiring like this, and wrote a blog about it. It keeps all positions hum-cancelling. Read about it here.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          I've done a wiring like this, and wrote a blog about it. It keeps all positions hum-cancelling. Read about it here.
          that sounds good, but i want the 2 and 4 positions to be lower output than the 1-3-5 positions, do you know how this can be done? I had it like that on a previous guitar but i since sold it so i can't use that as reference

Comment

Originally posted by Reee View Post
            that sounds good, but i want the 2 and 4 positions to be lower output than the 1-3-5 positions . . .
            As Alex said, parallel is your friend. Very close to single-coil tone, while remaining noiseless. Easy to do with a Superswitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Reee View Post
              that sounds good, but i want the 2 and 4 positions to be lower output than the 1-3-5 positions, do you know how this can be done? I had it like that on a previous guitar but i since sold it so i can't use that as reference
              Those positions ARE lower volume than 1, 3, 5. About 2/3 the volume.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
              X