Bogner vs Bugera: Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bogner vs Bugera: Discuss

For sure, I get what you're saying. If I had the space, I would try to own more amps. I sold a '65 Silvertone 1483 that was "Jack White in a box" just because I live in a studio apartment. As it is, my Fiancée wants me to tidy up my computer and music area.

For those who already have a 2203, 2555, '60s Super Lead, Super 100, JTM 45, or modded marshall (Brown sound or SIR 39), the real deal may blow the bogner away. I think Bogner's intent with the Helios was to make it a Swiss Army knife of M style tones. That's what makes it perfect for my studio apartment setup. The Two Notes Captor X and Sennheiser HD 58X let me play while my Fiancée teaches her 1st grade zoom class.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I always thought the idea behind the Helios was to recreate the Bogner Modded Plexis and 2203s that a lot of folks were using in the early '90s before Bogner's original designs really took off? The XTC Blue channel is supposed to be a lot more "polite" than those early designs were, with less top-end bite and less attack, which would mean the Helios would fill a gap in the lineup even without taking into consideration its versatility -- it's the most aggressive of the big-bottle Marshall voiced amps (in terms of voicing/attack, not gain) in the Bogner lineup, at least on paper.
      Last edited by Cynical; 07-11-2020, 03:23 AM.

Comment

I haven't played/owned an XTC, so I can't personally comment, but I have read posts from others who have. They definitely agree that the Helios is more aggressive than the blue channel. You can dial in a fast and tight character which doesn't come off as polite like you mentioned. The same guy who owns both said the gain isn't as much as the red channel.

I got the Helios for its versatility inside the plex and hot inputs.The hot input can definitely achieve a modded plexi and 2203 footprint with the proper settings (hot input/ch II w/ the switches set to taste). The plexi hits more the jtm 45 to super lead/bass plexis (plex input /ch I/II depending on intended gain range, variac on w/ vol 2 at 3 o' clock). This where the 50W shines since it has the variac. The low end has a looser feel which sounds more vintage to me. You can also dial in a more NVM Marshall tone by pushing the 2nd volume around 3 o' clock. Between the 70/80 modes and B1/N/B2 switches, you can really sculpt out a lot of tones. All this despite its inability to pull off proper channel switching due to the volume drop or increase. Had Bogner eliminated the audible jump, you'd see why more praise and owners for the Helios.

Last edited by YeRedHouseOverYonder; 07-12-2020, 04:02 AM.

Comment

I used to think "Bugera" was high-end amps, due to the fancy name :o

then I saw the prices and looked at the pictures .

I think it's a good thing, that "cheap" budget amps are made. So that even... I, can have a tube amp!

-Erl
          If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by YeRedHouseOverYonder View Post
            ^^ I lol'd hard at that. Definitely have made that mistake before. The Twin Jet along with a Revv G120 are both my dream metal amps \m/

I have had a couple Bogners. Even the PCB ones were built like tanks and sounded really good (Barcelona and a New Yorker). The Handwired stuff is amazing and well-crafted. As always, shop used. There are killer deals on eBay or Reverb if you wait patiently.

I currently own my 2nd Helios 50W (sold the first one) and switched from Kemper back to tubes. The Helios is Bogner's anthology of Marshall's IMO. I like the 50W version better as it is more raw to my ears and the built in variac gets the amp to sag more for a convincing vintage tone. For my purposes, its a one-stop shop for Marshall tones. Each prospective channel just nails an absolute killer tone. The plexi went from hendrix to Page. The hot from Guns N Roses to Opeth/Mastodon. Takes pedals well. Really all I could want from one amp and not have to rely on a *ton of equipment.

The biggest downfall of the Helios is the channel switching capabilities. You won't be able to a killer clean or overdriven (plexi) tone and then footswitch to the hot channel and rip some leads. There's a huge volume drop *or increase when switching channels. Seems like the amp was designed to have two different voicings with is fine with me, annoying for others. A boost for the plexi channel bridges the gap a little more.

Here's a reference video of the high gain capability of a Helios. Put up against a Friedman JJ and Uberschall.

Some guitar pr0n since this thread needs more photos:

Just tried out our second guitarists Revv G on Saturday he got built to the specs I recommended (Kt-88s, orange instead of boring black) and wow, what am amp! Every mode of every channel is incredible and useable. Channel 3 requires no boosters or overdrives of any kind no matter how tight or gainy you need.
            The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
              Just tried out our second guitarists Revv G on Saturday he got built to the specs I recommended (Kt-88s, orange instead of boring black) and wow, what am amp! Every mode of every channel is incredible and useable. Channel 3 requires no boosters or overdrives of any kind no matter how tight or gainy you need.
              I would pay the price of admission ($2999) for the G120 just for the purple channel alone. I think they sell a 100W version of Purple Channel (Generator 100P). Jesus Christ is that a killer metal tone. Even the Revv G3 Pedal slays with drop tuning.

The Charcoal Tweed and modern faceplate call to me. I just looked at the prices and with a lead time of 4 months, I'm considering to drop a deposit at the end of the month or late August. I would love the g120 to have 4 channels, but my Captor X can only handle 100W @ 8 ohm. And to be honest with myself, I would live in that purple channel lol.

Last edited by YeRedHouseOverYonder; 07-12-2020, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Bugera is not comparable to Bogner as far as quality and design. That being said I really liked my Bugera 333XL, it was a good sounding amplifier, but it's like comparing a Hyundai Genesis Coupe to a Mercedes AMG v8. They are both fun to drive and will both take you places but one is on a different level of bonecrushing.

I got my Uberschall on Reverb a few months ago for 1700$ , I dont think they are excessive on the used market.
                Last edited by deathbytinnitus; 07-19-2020, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Welcome to the forum
                  EHD
                  Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                  RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                  SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                  Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                  Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                  Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                  Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                  GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Yeah...welcome..always great when someone comes in just to share their experience..

Personally I think Bugera's tend to compare pretty favorably to bigger name amp's (often extremely favorably) as far as how they 'sound' which apart from reliablity is all that concerns me (and as I've mentioned I've had not a day's trouble with mine since I bought it 8 years ago..)

Two flavors ..sure, I think they're both great. But I'm not hearing Hyundai hatchback vs V8 Merc
                    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Fluff needed to even-out the volumes just a bit in that video. The mesa sounded lower to me.
                      That said, I've never owned a bugera but have heard many comparisons where they hold well against their "inspirations".

Comment

I still feel like Ace was trolling but love seeing all the input here. Bogners have always seemed like the grail of the hot Marshall tone to me, but I'm not convinced the Marshall sound is where I wanna be.

When (not if) my tastes evolve and I do wanna go there, I'd shell out and go straight to Bogner and leave Bugera for the young'uns who don't "get it"

No offense to anyone here who is happy with their Bugera, but I think we can all agree; the knockoff brand might do many things well, but not as well as the brands it imitates

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
                        • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                        • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                        • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                        • G&L Tribute Comanche
                        • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                        • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                        • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

What can I say? Maybe I don't get it 'cuz of my simple tastes but.. tone like this makes me happy..

No desire for a Bogner of any sort whatsoever.. (and I'm going on 50)
                          "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                          If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Those "inside pics" of the Bogner- are really nice

but... all those parts can't cost like 4000USD ? there's gotta be some money you pay for the "brand"...

not to be a party pooper.

I've for many years been wanting a "Weber Kit Amp", assembled by their workshop, with 230V transformers , and shipped to my place.

Awesome!! Bang for the buck.

Preferably a Princeton clone, with 12" custom choice speaker, and stuff... but still too expensive for me, without a year+ of savings.

-Erl
                            If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Why spend $3K to $4K for a "bogner" Marshall style amp when you could have the real thing for less than 1/2 that price ?

Not seeing the value there.

Comment

A 100 watt made-in-UK Marshall costs about $3k new, so I don't know where you're getting "less than 1/2 that price" from: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...watt-tube-head

A Bogner will typically have slightly different voicing, with thicker low mids and more gain on tap. And, of course, that's assuming you're going for a Helios or a GoldFinger SL45; a lot of their other amps, such as the Uberschall/Twin Jet, aren't really voiced much like a Marshall at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X