Bogner vs Bugera: Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bogner vs Bugera: Discuss

I've been playing through a Bogner Extasy Blue model on my G3N. I like it. I don't follow either company. I played Gearjonesers Bogner once and it was pretty nice.

Just neither was ever on my radar.
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
      Burgera<-Blackstar.
      It's the other way around..

As far as reliability goes...the one's made past a certain date (I think 2012) like my 333XL Infinium work absolutely fine. Prior to that there was a problem (which I'd put down to teething trouble) with a clip that led to the tranny....it would melt. Basically a pretty easily fixed design flaw which was hyped up with jokes/burning Bugera meme's etc until they fixed it..but by then the damage was done.

Sound-wise ...they sound ****ing awesome. As good as anything out there really. In no way do they sound like a toy or cheap at all. I could do a bunch of clip's to prove it. Just say the word

Mine's been gigged regularly for the last 7-8 years and I've never had the slightest problem...not once. They fixed the clip thing in 2012 and I bought mine in 2013...
      "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

mine seems just fine

Bogner is in no way related to Bugera
        I dont think Bugera even makes a copy of a Bogner
        unless theres something I dont know

they knock off Peavey and Blackstar and Marshall
        not Bogner
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Bob = Troll.

Comment

Bogner ubers are amazing amps IMO,,,,,,just not game at those prices. Never even considered one due to price.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              Bogner and Line 6 partnered up about a decade ago to make one of the best modeling amps ever, the Spidervalve.
              And the Alchemist. Killer amp. I have both.

Comment

Alchemist is Line6 too???

Oh my
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post

Oh my
                  Made in China.

Comment

Damn Chinese stuff

What do you know...I found a clip I already did ...Bugie does Boogie

Rough/first mix w/ raw tracks..

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post

Oh my
                      Line 6 did the Delay and Reverb. And did it well. It's been my #1 for the last few years. I think it's bad rap comes from not being super roadworthy. But since mine sits in my little studio . . . no probs so far.

Comment

TBH, I actually had this same confusion for years. Whenever I'd see someone list a Bogner at thousands of dollars, I instanty thought "WTF?"

Then, one day, I played an Ecstasy 101B. I never made that mistake again. Shortly after, I played a Twin Jet. And then, shortly after that, bought a Twin Jet.

Comment

^^ I lol'd hard at that. Definitely have made that mistake before. The Twin Jet along with a Revv G120 are both my dream metal amps \m/

I have had a couple Bogners. Even the PCB ones were built like tanks and sounded really good (Barcelona and a New Yorker). The Handwired stuff is amazing and well-crafted. As always, shop used. There are killer deals on eBay or Reverb if you wait patiently.

I currently own my 2nd Helios 50W (sold the first one) and switched from Kemper back to tubes. The Helios is Bogner's anthology of Marshall's IMO. I like the 50W version better as it is more raw to my ears and the built in variac gets the amp to sag more for a convincing vintage tone. For my purposes, its a one-stop shop for Marshall tones. Each prospective channel just nails an absolute killer tone. The plexi went from hendrix to Page. The hot from Guns N Roses to Opeth/Mastodon. Takes pedals well. Really all I could want from one amp and not have to rely on a *ton of equipment.

The biggest downfall of the Helios is the channel switching capabilities. You won't be able to a killer clean or overdriven (plexi) tone and then footswitch to the hot channel and rip some leads. There's a huge volume drop *or increase when switching channels. Seems like the amp was designed to have two different voicings with is fine with me, annoying for others. A boost for the plexi channel bridges the gap a little more.

Here's a reference video of the high gain capability of a Helios. Put up against a Friedman JJ and Uberschall.

Some guitar pr0n since this thread needs more photos:

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by YeRedHouseOverYonder; 07-09-2020, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by YeRedHouseOverYonder View Post
                            ^^ I lol'd hard at that. Definitely have made that mistake before. The Twin Jet along with a Revv G120 are both my dream metal amps \m/

I have had a couple Bogners. Even the PCB ones were built like tanks and sounded really good (Barcelona and a New Yorker). The Handwired stuff is amazing and well-crafted. As always, shop used. There are killer deals on eBay or Reverb if you wait patiently.

I currently own my 2nd Helios 50W (sold the first one) and switched from Kemper back to tubes. The Helios is Bogner's anthology of Marshall's IMO. I like the 50W version better as it is more raw to my ears and the built in variac gets the amp to sag more for a convincing vintage tone. For my purposes, its a one-stop shop for Marshall tones. Each prospective channel just nails an absolute killer tone. The plexi went from hendrix to Page. The hot from Guns N Roses to Opeth/Mastodon. Takes pedals well. Really all I could want from one amp and not have to rely on a top of equipment.

The biggest downfall of the Helios is the channel switching capabilities. You won't be able to a killer clean or overdriven (plexi) tone and then footswitch to the hot channel and rip some leads. There's a huge volume drop *or increase when switching channels. Seems like the amp was designed to have two different voicings with is fine with me, annoying for others. A boost for the plexi channel bridges the gap a little more.

Here's a reference video of the high gain capability of a Helios. Put up against a Friedman JJ and Uberschall.

Some guitar pr0n since this thread needs more photos:

What did you pay for your Helios ?

Comment

Waaayyy under what most are selling for right now. I see these sitting at $2200 most of the time. If you're super patient and lucky, I've seen these as low as $1500. They fly off at that point. I paid $1750 shipped for mine. Custom cab is from Sourmash I believe. I asked for $1500, but the seller didn't want to ship this without a head cab. I can't complain tho, as I feel that's a decent deal on a handwired boutique amp. Cheapest one on Reverb right now is $2495 plus shipping, $95, and CA tax.

I do agree that Bogners do have a certain feel/sound (chew) that some don't like. I am definitely not one of them however.

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
                              What did you pay for your Helios ?
                              Last edited by YeRedHouseOverYonder; 07-09-2020, 03:33 PM.

Comment

The Helios is one I've wanted to try for a while now... it blows me away in every demo I ever hear, but then I look over to my stack of amps, see my Studio Classic, and then remember that every "boutique Marshall-like" thing always pales when I put it next to a cranked 2203, 2204, or SC20, and there's a part of me that's skeptical that I'll ever find an amp better than a proper single-channel MV Marshall at doing that sound... but, if there's anything that could, "another Bogner take that's less polite than an XTC" would be the one.

Comment

Working...
                                X