SD Slash vs Sethb and PGn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD Slash vs Sethb and PGn

I've been watching videos and I've been doing research on the forum which pretty much brought me down to these two options:
    Should I swap the Burstbucker Pros on my LP Standard to a set of SD Slash pups or will the Seth Lover on the bridge and Pearly Gates on the neck do a better job? I'm replacing the BB Pros because they're a bit too harsh for me. I'm looking for a warmer, bluesier sound that could go up to classic rock, but nothing near the metal zone. Any thoughts?

Re: SD Slash vs Sethb and PGn

My R7 Les Paul had burstbucker 1, 2 and 3 in various combinations over the years. I like all of those pickups more than the BB Pros, as I find the Pros harsh as well. I now have the Slash set in that guitar and they sound better to my ear than the 1, 2 and 3 ever did.

Comment

Great news! I spend so much time adjusting pup height and I know it's not the way it's supposed to be....

Comment

Why wouldn't you just get a set (neck and bridge) of the Seth Lover, PG or Slash rather than mixing two different pickups?

Of the pickups you mentioned I like the Seth Lovers.

But even more, I like the Antiquitys.
        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

If you are looking for warmer sounds, either the Slash or the Alnico II Pro set should be the ones to consider. The Seth and PG set is on the brighter side of what you have. But the Slash or Alnico set is absolutely warmer.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            If you are looking for warmer sounds, either the Slash or the Alnico II Pro set should be the ones to consider. The Seth and PG set is on the brighter side of what you have. But the Slash or Alnico set is absolutely warmer.
            And the Antiquitys, with the roughcast A2 magnets I've found in my sets, are warmer than the Seth Lovers.

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
              And the Antiquitys, with the roughcast A2 magnets I've found in my sets, are warmer than the Seth Lovers.
              Actually- I don't know if I agree. The Antiquities are cleaner and clearer than the Seths to me...I don't know if I'd say warmer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                Actually- I don't know if I agree. The Antiquities are cleaner and clearer than the Seths to me...I don't know if I'd say warmer.
                My Antiquitys came with roughcast magnets...stock.

Jeremy has said he's found polished magnets in his.

Maybe your Antiquitys have polished magnets rather than the roughcast in mine and that's the difference?

I have Seths in one guitar and Antiquitys in three guitars.

Comment

Actually, I've never taken my Antiquities apart...they are in my Eastman T59v, which is like a 335. So I don't really have any idea what magnets are in there.

Comment

Hi Lew,

All my ant HB's had the regular (polished) mags. That said, I agree, ants are a bit warmer compared with Seths both stock. But when I use the same ant mag in a Seth and compared it with my ant neck (both ~7.50K), I honestly could not hear much differences (trying in the same guitar with the same strings etc. that 5 10min required in between changing of the pickup does not help for sure...). The biggest difference in tone happened in a PGn tho, ~7.30K. Loved that degaussed a2 in that PGn of mine.

These said, I think Seths are great pickups. Love them as they are... The ones in my Heritage H555 are there to stay. For whatever its worth all of the following are done with that guitar:

My name is Mehmet Barlo, and I am a guitar fanatic. I guess acknowledging this is a good first step in presenting myself... :) Thanks for checking this channel. Hope you like what you hear. I a

(the specifics of the amp pedal whatever is listed in there as well)

B
                    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
                      Hi Lew,

All my ant HB's had the regular (polished) mags. That said, I agree, ants are a bit warmer compared with Seths both stock. But when I use the same ant mag in a Seth and compared it with my ant neck (both ~7.50K), I honestly could not hear much differences (trying in the same guitar with the same strings etc. that 5 10min required in between changing of the pickup does not help for sure...). The biggest difference in tone happened in a PGn tho, ~7.30K. Loved that degaussed a2 in that PGn of mine.

These said, I think Seths are great pickups. Love them as they are... The ones in my Heritage H555 are there to stay. For whatever its worth all of the following are done with that guitar:

My name is Mehmet Barlo, and I am a guitar fanatic. I guess acknowledging this is a good first step in presenting myself... :) Thanks for checking this channel. Hope you like what you hear. I a

(the specifics of the amp pedal whatever is listed in there as well)

B
                      Hey Doc. I've taken apart three Antiquity humbuckers and all three had MJ initialed roughcast magnets. Here's a picture of one:
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                        Hey Doc. I've taken apart three Antiquity humbuckers and all three had MJ initialed roughcast magnets. Here's a picture of one:
                        Apparently they can be roughcast or polished!

This is just a thought: maybe roughcast magnet has a more diffused magnetic field than polished and sounds like a polished mag that's been "Dun-aged"?

Comment

When are those produced? Mine are all from ~2002-2007...

Not that it matters a lot, but still curious. I love those antiquities with a4 mags! I kinda prefer those degaussed a2's in PGn's... And not much else. But that's me... tastes. Anyways, do you remember getting a4's from Fralin when nobody around had it? I've sold (and made good money) the Holmes' 4xx (I don't remember the code exactly) due to a 8.75K/7.75K Ant HB set housing them Fralin a4's.

B
                          FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

SD Slash vs Sethb and PGn

For the OP, Slash set would be warmer and get into hard rock territory, but not bluesier IMO. I have the Slash bridge in my LP Studio now.

Seth set would be a superior straight PAF replacement for BB Pros; clearer but similar signature sound (little mid bump, chime, clearer treble). My BB Pros weren’t harsh but they weren’t clear compared to Seths. Would do blues and could touch some classic rock.

Pearly set is not going to be warmer (unless you roll the tone off a bit). They are much brighter than all the ones mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
                              When are those produced? Mine are all from ~2002-2007...

Not that it matters a lot, but still curious. I love those antiquities with a4 mags! I kinda prefer those degaussed a2's in PGn's... And not much else. But that's me... tastes. Anyways, do you remember getting a4's from Fralin when nobody around had it? I've sold (and made good money) the Holmes' 4xx (I don't remember the code exactly) due to a 8.75K/7.75K Ant HB set housing them Fralin a4's.

B
                              My Antiquitys are fairly new. Less than 10 years old.

I do have A4's in one set of Antiquitys. To be honest, I don't like the A4 as much as I thought I would. Kind of bland.

My favorite is RCA2 in the bridge and RCA3 in the neck.

These are my three "experimental" guitars. All are PRS SE Singlecuts.

The Sunburst with double creams has stock Seth Lovers. Bought them on eBay and they're fairly old.

The other Sunburst has 59's with RCA3 and RCA2

The Black one has Antiquitys with RCA4. I'm going to change those back to the original RCA2 magnets.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by Lewguitar; 06-30-2020, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X