SD Slash vs Sethb and PGn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SD Slash vs Sethb and PGn

The good news is that either option will be better than the BB Pros for you. I hated the BBs in my standard, and I found that Seths, WLH, and 59s with A2/A4 magnets were all superior for the style of music you listed. Ultimately I wanted a guitar to use for heavier stuff, so right now it's got 59n and 59/Custom with A4s. I also have Ants in my Edwards LP, and those are very nice too. Think early Black Crowes tone.

Comment

I love all the BB's except the Pros

That said - I think the Slash will do you just fine. Just get the set.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
        Apparently they can be roughcast or polished!

This is just a thought: maybe roughcast magnet has a more diffused magnetic field than polished and sounds like a polished mag that's been "Dun-aged"?
        I bought mags from cermag in the uk, polished and rough A5. They have the same gauss and the same Sound, its just looks! But i have over a dozen mags from different sources, they measure different and sound a bit different. Its more the foundry they come from than the looks of the surface IMO.
        A big, big difference make the Unoriented A5s. A big drop of the gauss nearly to A2 and a much more rounder tone. Now the fun fact: all the UA5 i have had so gar we're roughcast. I think now that folks mix up UnA5 and roughcast and all roughcast must sound like UnA5. But they don't...
        Last edited by hamerfan; 07-01-2020, 07:31 AM.
        I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by hamerfan View Post
          I bought mags from cermag in the uk, polished and rough A5. They have the same gauss and the same Sound, its just looks! But i have over a dozen mags from different sources, they measure different and sound a bit different. Its more the foundry they come from than the looks of the surface IMO.
          A big, big difference make the Unoriented A5s. A big drop of the gauss nearly to A2 and a much more rounder tone. Now the fun fact: all the UA5 i have had so gar we're roughcast. I think now that folks mix up UnA5 and roughcast and all roughcast must sound like UnA5. But they don't...
          I purchased all of my magnets from one source.

I'm an A2 fan when it comes to humbuckers, and to me, polished A2 sounds different from roughcast A2.

They do sound similar, but subtle differences are what some musicians are obsessed with and even though the difference is subtle, it can be both felt and heard by a sensitive player, and I'm not the only one.

There are some of us who can pick up on that and some who can't. Just the way some of us are wired I guess.

I've been that way all my life. Maybe I have a touch of Asperger's syndrome or something! lol
          Last edited by Lewguitar; 07-01-2020, 08:04 AM.
          “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Sorry, never had a roughcast A2. So i can only speak about A5s.
            I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

I finally did go for the Seth Lovers and they're amazing. Your description was spot on: they are similar to the BB Pros, but much clearer, which was what was bothering me. Plus, they have an incredible vintage tone... Thanks

Comment

Working...
              X