Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split coil - output powe

Hi!
    In my experience split coil sound better with high gain pickup, because with low/medium output sounds thinner and piercingly.
    Does anyone have similar insights?
    I prefer medium output pickups, but split coil sounds worse. Maybe connecting resistor with push-pull (250k simulator) will solve the problem?

Re: Split coil - output powe

You mean splitting a humbucker?

Yes that’s true because half a standard output humbucker is a lot less turns of wire than a real single coil.

Half a PAF style pickup is 5,000 turns of wire. A standard Strat pickup is about 8,000 turns. Half of a hot pickup like a JB or SDHB is around 6,400 turns. So still not as hot as a real single coil, but closer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CarlosG View Post
      Hi!
      In my experience split coil sound better with high gain pickup, because with low/medium output sounds thinner and piercingly.
      Does anyone have similar insights?
      I prefer medium output pickups, but split coil sounds worse. Maybe connecting resistor with push-pull (250k simulator) will solve the problem?
      Yes.

Instead of splitting the two coils in a humbucking pickup so that only one coil is active, try a switch that gives you the choice of the two coils connected in series (which is stock) or the two coils connected in parallel.

Parallel gives you a "single coil" kind of sound but it's stronger and still humbucking.
      “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Parallel is a better choice. You could also try what's called a partial coil-split. You wire a resistor to the ground wire so it's resistor+coil. https://www.fralinpickups.com/2018/1...n-guitars-101/

Comment

There are some lower-output pickups I like split, like a Jazz and Alnico II Pro. I think it is on a pickup-by-pickup basis, rather than blanket statements about power.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            There are some lower-output pickups I like split, like a Jazz and Alnico II Pro. I think it is on a pickup-by-pickup basis, rather than blanket statements about power.
            The only humbuckers I like split are the Eddie Van Halen approved Dimarzios in my Ernie Ball Axis.

Eddie wanted to take those pickups with him when he left EB but they wouldn't let him have them.

Those are also the only Dimarzios I've ever liked.

Comment

For me, the reason to split a HB'er is to use it with another split HB'er, to get that Strat "quack" out of a dual HB'er axe. But that's just me. (Or, in series for the V3rd mod.)

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                For me, the reason to split a HB'er is to use it with another split HB'er, to get that Strat "quack" out of a dual HB'er axe. But that's just me. (Or, in series for the V3rd mod.)
                It’s still very weak sounding.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
                  It’s still very weak sounding.

I agree. Whether the coils in a humbucker are split or in parallel, I don't find either to be a very inspiring sound. Just too weak.

Although as I mentioned, the Dimarzios in my Ernie Ball Axis are the ones EVH had a hand in approving for his signature guitar, and they do sound very good split.

Not so good that I'd ever mistake them for a real Stratocaster pickup though.

Comment

partial split works well for me, i think i use a 2.2k resistor with my pgn, but i havent experimented all that much with different values. there is a definite drop in output still but there was too much without the resistor

Comment

I guess I don't mind weak sounds, if the EQ is right for me. Generally I only split a pickup when in conjunction with another split pickup, though.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar View Post
                        The only humbuckers I like split are the Eddie Van Halen approved Dimarzios in my Ernie Ball Axis.

Eddie wanted to take those pickups with him when he left EB but they wouldn't let him have them.

Those are also the only Dimarzios I've ever liked.
                        i wonder why ed didn't ask dimarzio to make them for his peavey models then

Comment

Originally posted by Reee View Post
                          i wonder why ed didn't ask dimarzio to make them for his peavey models then
                          I think Ernie Ball has proprietary rights to the design. Something like that.

They really are excellent pickups.
                          Last edited by Lewguitar; 06-30-2020, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X