banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Output comparison: DiMarzio Super D in parallel vs. Gibson Deluxe MiniHB in series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Output comparison: DiMarzio Super D in parallel vs. Gibson Deluxe MiniHB in serie

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
    So either I gotta live with the hum (use Super D split as Super D parallel is wimpy), or get me a fancy modded GE-7 to use as a "fat boost" and keep on using the mini...

It is a bummer, because this guitar does Vivian Campell kinda hot rod Marshall LP tones really good even with the minis.

Back to square one...

Duncan custom shop a bit pricey but seems to be the only solid option.

So what say you guys?

B
    I'd go custom shop and even consider sending them your pickup with the caveat that you want the tapped tone to be exactly what you have now. They should be able to get pretty close to what you want. Side note: that's pretty much the perfect looking Norlin for me. I loved Deluxes, especially the maple neck models.

Comment

Re: Output comparison: DiMarzio Super D in parallel vs. Gibson Deluxe MiniHB in serie

Great info freefrog! I keep looking at those over and over again.

Very cool!

Thanks!

Now, the single split version sounds like more like the mini HB. As I intend to use this guitar for gigging and all, in some places the noise could be an issue. So gotta think.

If I go Duncan custom shop, it looks like a safer option as Chadd is saying. Or leave it be and hit fat boosts as I have been doing...

B
      FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Originally posted by dr.barlo View Post
        Great info freefrog! I keep looking at those over and over again.

Very cool!

Thanks!

Now, the single split version sounds like more like the mini HB. As I intend to use this guitar for gigging and all, in some places the noise could be an issue. So gotta think.

If I go Duncan custom shop, it looks like a safer option as Chadd is saying. Or leave it be and hit fat boosts as I have been doing...

B
        You're welcome. :-)

I keep thinking that parallel wiring might be a viable option (since it's still stronger than the neck mini-hum of my Wilshire)... but the only way to be sure would be to test it and/or to check if your stock neck pickup spits high voltage / hosts a strong mag or not...

Now, the choice is yours: idsnowdog and chadd gave you a couple of alternative solutions that I'd find interesting too.

All that being said: there's various ways to "tune" any pickup with a few passive components added to form a LRC filter.

For example, if a P90 sized DM sounds too weak in parallel, it's possible to leave the whole pickup wired normally (in series) BUT to wire it in parallel with a dummy coil + resistor (+ possibly a capacitor) in order to obtain the requested overall resistance, inductance and resonant peak... the problems are 1)to have access to the components needed and 2)to have a few devices allowing to do reliable measurements.

I have such circuits in several guitars and have mounted equivalent networks for other people (mainly a friend who is a pro musician and uses my tweaks on stage) but I know for a fact that it pften requires some tedious experiments before to work as wanted...

More later. Enjoy in the meantime - you have a glorious guitar that I'd probably leave as it is if it was mine.

EDIT - my guitars host pickups going from super weak to super strong (roughly: 1.2H to 12H; yes, the strongest has ten times more inductance than the weakest). I play ALL of them through the same amps / pedalboards / MFX's without real issues... I just turn a knob here and there and when I need some extra gain, I add an OD or some germanium treble booster... EQ are great tools too.
        What I'm trying to say (or to confirm, since you already know it) is that strong pickups are not absolutely required IME and IMHO. They don't even avoid the use of boosters - see Adrian Smith plugging his DiMarzio Super Dist in a mid centric EQ and a TS; LOL...

FWIW (= rambing from an old fart).
        Last edited by freefrog; 07-05-2020, 12:23 AM.
        Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

Cool! Thanks!

I am inclined to keep on using the guitar as it is... In the bridge, it can do this

and this

Maybe get a modded GE-7 !

Joking aside, it is quite a useful pedal actually...

And if I get itchy, I think I am gonna go Duncan Custom shop asking for a tapped mini HB set (or HB under a p90 cover) not sacrificing this 6.20K dlx mini HB tone and "add" a beefier overwound PAF kinda mod. I dunno if it's feasible tho...

B

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
            I'd go custom shop and even consider sending them your pickup with the caveat that you want the tapped tone to be exactly what you have now. They should be able to get pretty close to what you want. Side note: that's pretty much the perfect looking Norlin for me. I loved Deluxes, especially the maple neck models.
            I missed the side note...

Cool. I love those honeybursts. I was lucky.

B

Comment

The custom shop route isn't going to set you back that much in the grand scheme of things. If you have to take a second stab at this, you'll essentially be at the same cost for the bridge replacement. As far as boosting, I've been intrigued by the Seafoam Lighthouse Boost, it seems really versatile. I used a Boss EQ-200 for a similar type boost for a couple songs, but also had other curves programmed. Now I'm just spoiled with my Kemper.

Comment

I am using a replica of the Colorsound 18v Power Boost. This sucker

Review of the Electronic Orange Bananaboost reviewSignal chain:Guitar - Fender CIJ Stratocaster, with D Allen Voodoo 69 neck and middle pickups and Seymour D...

Not that I am into the whole Pink Floyd - Gilmour imitation thing (love them a lot tho)... Just got it through a trade with some pedal that I don't remember. This is quite a powerful boost that has bass and treble; and loves working with this Deluxe of mine.

I sure will be checking that Seafoam Lighthouse Boost tho! Thanks!

B

Comment

Working...
                X