Tele pickup ID.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tele pickup ID.

Once again, I think I asked this a long time ago, but search still isn't working.

I have a Tele bridge pup sitting in a drawer. It looks identical to a new-in-the-box Broadcaster. Copper baseplate, flat poles, yellow & black wires. On the "new" Duncan site, they list the Broadcaster at 8k DCR. My new one measures exactly that. But the old Duncan tone chart, (which I saved), says 7.6k, and my mystery pup reads 8.4k. I know that pups have DCR variances, but would 8.4k be in the realm of "normal"? Might this be something else? Nothing else I can find seems to have all these identity characteristics.

Thanks all;
    Artie

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tele_bridge_pup.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	210.8 KB
ID:	5854656

Re: Tele pickup ID.

cool it down til it reaches 8k.
    it s sUmmer after all

Comment

Any stickers or stamps showing who the manufacturer is?

Comment

Originally posted by ToneFiddler View Post
        cool it down til it reaches 8k.
        it s sUmmer after all
        We have our thermostat on 70. So that probably isn't a problem. Then again, I could probably toss it into the 'fridge to create any reading I want.

Originally posted by idsnowdog View Post
        Any stickers or stamps showing who the manufacturer is?
        It's definitely a Duncan. And you can see where the "old school" sticker was. I probably bought it from someone here. (But search isn't working.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tele_bridge_pup-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	5820954

Comment

id assume its a broadcaster. are the pole pieces .195 or .187? broadcaster has slightly bigger poles than some others

Comment

Hmmm . . . interesting point Jeremy. The new one, which I know is a Broadcaster, is .195. The one in question is .187.

Comment

well... then it aint a broadcaster. you should send it to me and ill see what i think of it im not sure what it would be. flat .187 rods, a5 or a2? (got a gauss meter handy?) 8.4k isnt really spec for anything i can think of but ive been soaking my grey matter with a bit much of mr daniel's spirits so i could totally be forgetting something

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                (got a gauss meter handy?)
                Funny you should say that. The "real" Broadcaster was easy to measure. The pup in question kept pulling my micrometer to one side or the other. It was very difficult to get a reading. As if it's magnet was much stronger.

I don't think my Capt' Morgan was a factor, since I measured the Broadcaster ok.

Comment

ha! strong rods would suggest a5... no idea. betcha it sounds good though!

Comment

I guess that means I'll have to install each, one at a time, and see how they sound.

Comment

seems like a good plan to me!

Comment

hm, if the specs changed, maybe the larger pole piece diameter is also a new thing?

i have a STR-1, which i bought used that measures around 9k, by the way.
                        maybe someone moved a sticker in that case
                        Last edited by ToneFiddler; 06-30-2020, 04:58 AM. Reason: „used“ highlight

Comment

the neck pups usually read higher than the bridge due to #43 wire but if the neck is 9k, maybe this is just a stl1

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                            the neck pups usually read higher than the bridge due to #43 wire but if the neck is 9k, maybe this is just a stl1
                            stl-1? that‘s the vintage 54 tele bridge PU that came with that Str-1 neck.
                            the str-1 should be around 7.4k (43AWG) but mine is over 9k (moved sticker?(bought used))
                            it has the pushback wire, so no str-2 which would fit the ohm reading

Comment

the str1 should be mid/high 7's i think but either way, 9k is significantly over spec. i was suggesting that maybe arties pup is an over spec stl1 which would probably be a pretty sweet pup. how do you like your 9k str1?

Comment

Working...
                              X