Tele pickup ID.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Tele pickup ID.

Now this is getting interesting. You all reminded me that this pup was in the same drawer as an STR-1 Tele neck pup. I'm pretty sure I bought this set from a forum bro in the Trading Post.

Comment

Don't know if it matters or even helps, but if it's anything like the stamping on the humbuckers, the "Made in USA" stamp on the baseplate might lock it in to the 1986/87 timeframe.

EDIT: I see newer versions of this baseplate say "Made in the USA". Not sure when "the" was added.

Here's a list of models available per the 1988 catalog:

Last edited by Masta' C; 06-30-2020, 02:03 PM.

Comment

That makes sense except for one thing: the current pic shows it having a raised "D" string pole piece. This one doesn't. Also, it's listed as being 7k. 8.4k is pretty far off.

Comment

guess youll have to pop it in and see how she flies

Comment

Ok, I think I solved the mystery...

APTL-1 Alnico II Pro for Tele bridge pickup

Right wire color, correct baseplate, ~8.5K according to the old SD site

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

That hot!?
              Fear that's pretty dark with the A2 mags.

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
              the str1 should be mid/high 7's i think but either way, 9k is significantly over spec. i was suggesting that maybe arties pup is an over spec stl1 which would probably be a pretty sweet pup. how do you like your 9k str1?
              well the STL-1 has the Stagger, as already mentioned.

STR-1 (if it really is one): so far so good. It's seems i am one of the few people who like Tele necks on their own. they have more soul so to speak compared to strat PUs. But yes they are weak so i have always a problem with the bridge PU, if i set up my amp for the neck.
              The STR-1 one is a nice change/addition to the Std. Fender or Twang king PUs. WIth their Nickel silver (and lower DCR) the later are quite bright.
              The STR-1 with it's brass cover (and higher DCR) has some roundness i enjoy. I like to put a highpass on it for distorted rythm work on the low strings, so they are not muffled and too woofy. THe other two get easily shrill if i twist my modified TBX Tone control too much. The STR-1 is more forgiving. Gets bright but not shrill.
              Downside: HighPass steals even more output of the PUs.

in the coming months I'll get another STR-1 in a NEW broadcaster set for another tele waiting to get sprayed. Then i can confirm if they sound the same.

Comment

that would make sense but i never thought they were that hot. played a few of em over the years and they didnt sound that hot, the ones i put a meter on were all less than 7k

Comment

I can go for that. The only thing messing with my head is that the "mystery" pup magnet pulled my mic much stronger than the known A5 Broadcaster.

I wish swapping Tele bridge pups wasn't such a PITA.

Comment

Don't know if it matters or even helps, but if it's anything like the stamping on the humbuckers, the "Made in USA" stamp on the baseplate might lock it in to the 1986/87 timeframe.

EDIT: I see newer versions of this baseplate say "Made in the USA". Not sure when "the" was added.

Here's a list of models available per the 1988 catalog:

I have to say, I have this catalog somewhere, too. Who knew I'd be here 32 years later.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                    X