Mesa tubes in a Marshall?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mesa tubes in a Marshall?

Any reason I shouldn't use Mesa tubes (EL34) in my Marshall?

I like Mesa's simplicity of "matched pairs" but not sure how many have tried them in a Marshall?

Thoughts. ideas, or results would be awesome.

Thanks!
    If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
    DON'TGETMADBRO

Re: Mesa tubes in a Marshall?

Nope...go ahead and use them. Mesa simply buys tubes and labels them with their own brand name.

Matched sets should always be used so if that’s what you have, you’re golden.

Comment

No dood, you can't do that! If the Mesa tube detects that it is in a British amp of any kind it will self-destruct in the middle of your solo, while this does create a great visual effect with all the smoke and sparks, it becomes expensive to maintain.

Nah, tubes is tubes... Just bias appropriately, but I definitely wouldn't spend extra for tubes just because they have Mesa stamped on them.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
        Nah, tubes is tubes... Just bias appropriately, but I definitely wouldn't spend extra for tubes just because they have Mesa stamped on them.
        This. If you're never used them before there's also the mystery factor as in you'll have no idea what they actually are.
        Originally posted by crusty philtrum
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

1. Matched pairs is not really a "Mesa thing", it's offered by most big vendors, and even matched quads by some.

2. The only reason to buy the mesa tubes (since they are a few extra $) is for the simplicity of plug and play in a mesa amp (because it's fixed bias and ready to go with mesa tubes provided you are in the proper bias mode on the back of the amp).

3. No mystery at all about who makes the various mesa tube models. They even list the location of manufacture on their tube site. You probably have the str-447 which is an Electro-Harmonix. I love this tube for a change-of-pace in my series2 single-rec, and I'm thinking about ordering a pair of their new mesa-labeled str-445 (jj-6L6gc) to try in the single and/or run as the inner pair (or outer pair maybe I'll try it both ways) in my triple reborn.

4. Just to be clear though. If you use Mesa tubes in another amp you will still have to bias the amp like you would with any other tube brand.

I really wonder why more people don't take advantage of the "fixed-bias with mesa tubes" system to integrate tube models that are within the same tube type (thus using the same setting on the back),,,,,especially on their mesa amps with the multiple wattage options.
          You can have the 50w setting with the (former) stock Shugaung-made str-440 (great for modern modes), then set green clean/pushed or orange-raw/vintage at 100/150w engaging the rest of the tubes which could be any of the other mesa 6L6 types or 5881 pairs.

I assume you can do the same thing within their el34 class as well.

Even in a single-rec I think (NOT SURE ON THIS) you can mix one of each if they are from the same tube-type and both of the same color code. (like a single red str-440 combined with a single red str-445). I probably wouldn't do that anyways, but i am curious if that's OK,,,,,,,,,,should be.

I suppose it's a bit like mixing speaker models within the same cab, in that you then can't really dial the tone to be optimum for either speaker model, but then who cares anyways because our ears are perceiving them as one, so it's really just like fashioning a brand new speaker model that hybrids the two.
          Last edited by dave74; 06-30-2020, 02:32 AM.

Comment

I used mesa tubes in my marshall before. The only complaint is they only offer matched pairs and no matched quads.

I found an online tube store that offer matched quads.

Comment

It will work, but you'll have to play in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean.

Comment

I got Mesa labeled 12AX7's in my JCM 2000. I could barely hear a difference, other than maybe a bit more gain than the sovteks I had in there before. I think they are relabeled JJ's.

Comment

As much as I love the idea of an amp company designing their tubes to work only in their amps and sabotage other company's designs, you should be fine.
                  green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Honestly, this is a very logical question for a new tube swapper.

Answer is no problem at all. Mesa just rebadges another manufacturers name.

there are only 4-5 tube manufacturers in the world and they all manufacturer to the original RCA/GE etc specifications based on the type type number/letter designation.

So any of the correct designation for your amp (and even some with different if you research) will work -although different factories have slightly different tonal properties based on the exact vacuum pressure, plate sizes, heat dissipation, materials etc etc
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Working...
                    X