banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Anyone Ordered Through Gibson's Custom Shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Anyone Ordered Through Gibson's Custom Shop?

If so, what kind of options are available? Are they willing to accommodate special requests such as woods or stainless steel frets?

It has been over a decade since I owned a Gibson, but I do love a well-made Les Paul. I would possibly consider a custom shop order if unique options are available.

Finally, if you do own a custom shop Gibson, feel free to post pics or tell me about it. Thanks in advance.
    Soundcloud

Re: Has Anyone Ordered Through Gibson's Custom Shop?

i dont know if they do one off customs any longer. if they do, you will pay handsomely for it

Comment

My thought is that if it doesn't already appear on a current or past model, they wouldn't do it. Like...pick from this inlay and that one, but we aren't going to do anything custom. And, it would be seriously expensive. If you have that kind of money, find a good luthier to support.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The Music Zoo has a made 2 measure program with Gibson you can check out

Comment

Not since 2003 -and the Memphis Custom shop is totally closed now.

SO I guess it's Nashville only. BOOOOOOOO
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

True Custom Shop Gibsons are very rare. Most of what people call "Custom Shop" Gibsons are really Historics. It isn't like Fender, where custom orders are fairly common. Hell, even I own a true Custom Shop Fender, meaning it was made to order for a customer. Gibson Custom Shop stuff is mainly only commissioned by wealthy music professionals. Be prepared to spend at least $10,000, I would think.
            Last edited by ItsaBass; 06-29-2020, 06:25 PM.
            Originally posted by LesStrat
            Yogi Berra was correct.
            Originally posted by JOLLY
            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              My thought is that if it doesn't already appear on a current or past model, they wouldn't do it. Like...pick from this inlay and that one, but we aren't going to do anything custom. And, it would be seriously expensive. If you have that kind of money, find a good luthier to support.
              And in some cases they won't do it for a reasonable price even if it was available in the past. In the early 2000s I looked into ordering a Custom Shop Historic SG Standard, but I wanted it painted Pelham Blue instead of the white or cherry that came standard. This isn't something they'd have to custom mix as the Historic Firebird V was available in Pelham Blue at that time. I wanted different pickups too, but knew better than to ask for that. When the quote came back, they wanted to up-charge me nearly $800 to paint the guitar a different, standard color. Needless to say, that order never happened.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                And in some cases they won't do it for a reasonable price even if it was available in the past. In the early 2000s I looked into ordering a Custom Shop Historic SG Standard, but I wanted it painted Pelham Blue instead of the white or cherry that came standard. This isn't something they'd have to custom mix as the Historic Firebird V was available in Pelham Blue at that time. I wanted different pickups too, but knew better than to ask for that. When the quote came back, they wanted to up-charge me nearly $800 to paint the guitar a different, standard color. Needless to say, that order never happened.
                Yeah, not as 'custom' as their shop would lead you to believe.

Comment

I am pretty sure LLL has you might want to PM him. I think that is where he got his lefty SG.

Comment

the made 2 measure, if its still going is pretty cool, still $10k but cool. gotta go through one of their select dealers and i havent really heard about it since like 2017 so thought it was dead

Comment

10K??? I guess if you are going to buy as an investment, and never really play it. But man, you have your choice of pretty much anything and can still buy a used car with the money left over. Does anyone think a custom Gibson (where you can't even talk to the people building your guitar) is worth it?

Comment

10k???? Pfff, guys please stop feeding them until they either go bankrupt or regain their common sense. That is just plain disgusting. They have a legion of fans supporting and loving their products despite any and all shortcomings in design or quality, but it seems like nothing is enough. There are builders who will make 3 top quality guitars from that kinda money (even right here, on this forum) and you'll still have some left.

Comment

the prices are ridiculous but if you look at a '59 ri price, then consider you can pick the actual block of wood for the body, the actual piece of wood for the top, the neck shape, the top color, the back color, ect... a few grand more isnt all that crazy for gibson. there are plenty of blues lawyers out there who will pay to have gibson make them a custom one off guitar so they can impress their other blues lawyer friends.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                            I am pretty sure LLL has you might want to PM him. I think that is where he got his lefty SG.
                            Now this sounds like an obscure custom shop... truly a must-see!
                            Soundcloud

Comment

Thank you everyone for your input so far.

Some of the responses remind me of a car show I was attending in 2016. I am standing in front of a beautiful Aston Martin Vanquish while truly admiring a formidable machine. A man, typical Minnesotan who seems to think price is never a determining factor when it comes to quality, decides to become a sidler (Seinfeld reference for those born after the 90s).

The Sidler's first comment?

"Of course, you don't get what ya pay for..."

Then he rambles on about how he could build a kit car that could kick this Aston's butt for a quarter of the cost.

I let him finish and walked away thinking... this guy just doesn't get it.

At the end of the day, you don't put a Ferrari V12 in the body of a VW Golf and call it a day. That is more commonly known as Epic Failure.

When it comes to guitars, I have some fine Warmoths that I will swear to my grave are some of the best six-strings I have ever played. None of them cost more than $2000 individually, all parts included.

If somebody decides to drop $5k plus on a custom Gibson, believe it or not, it is probably not a waste of money. If people choose to buy a guitar from Gibson, then be happy that a business was able to establish such a stellar reputation in the industry. Gibson gets a lot of hate for their $1500 and under guitars, but I think most of it is just the attitude of consumers who like to convince themselves it is not worth it to buy one. Such is life in the sea of choices.
                              Last edited by Snake Aces; 07-01-2020, 02:07 PM.
                              Soundcloud

Comment

Working...
                              X