banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Anyone Ordered Through Gibson's Custom Shop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Has Anyone Ordered Through Gibson's Custom Shop?

Getting one hand-made to-spec starts at like $8k and takes well over a year to finish. I worked as a Gibson dealer for years and did it one time. It was kind of cool getting the updates of the build in progress to forward to my customer and stuff, but in the end it felt like a lot of time and effort to get a Les Paul in a specific shade of blue. If you have more money than god I say, sure, whatever dude, but if you want to spend $8k on a good Les Paul you should call your local shops and buy 4 good Les Pauls that are already on the wall.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
      Getting one hand-made to-spec starts at like $8k and takes well over a year to finish. I worked as a Gibson dealer for years and did it one time. It was kind of cool getting the updates of the build in progress to forward to my customer and stuff, but in the end it felt like a lot of time and effort to get a Les Paul in a specific shade of blue. If you have more money than god I say, sure, whatever dude, but if you want to spend $8k on a good Les Paul you should call your local shops and buy 4 good Les Pauls that are already on the wall.
      Lol, but I do not want one of the 4 Les Pauls on the wall. That is kinda the whole point. An instrument is, or at least should be, a personalized tool. It should inspire the owner to play it and never want to put it down. It should be everything the player wants it to be with the occasional pleasant surprise.

That kind of experience is priceless. I already have a beautiful bespoke singlecut LP bass custom order placed through a great luthier who frequents this forum (thread coming soon). I have ordered from Warmoth several times as well. I am used to patiently waiting for things I really want
      Soundcloud

Comment

I didn't order mine; bought it from a store. Made in 2008.

I've only ever seen one other (on Ebay); my best guess is (at least back in the day) they would do small runs if you wanted something truly custom (and you would have to buy em all).

Very possible someone with $$$$$ could order a small run of true customs; pick the best one of the lot, then turn around and sell the rest (making a profit most likely).

Don't know what they (custom shop) do now.
        Last edited by LLL; 07-01-2020, 01:25 PM.

Comment

gibson custom shop dealers held in high regard have been known to get limited runs of things, wildwood seems to do it a fair amount

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeAces View Post
            Thank you everyone for your input so far.

Some of the responses remind me of a car show I was attending in 2016. I am standing in front of a beautiful Aston Martin Vanquish while truly admiring a formidable machine. A man, typical Minnesotan who seems to think price is never a determining factor when it comes to quality, decides to become a sidler (Seinfeld reference for those born after the 90s).

The Sidler's first comment?

"Of course, you don't get what ya pay for..."

Then he rambles on about how he could build a kit car that could kick this Aston's butt for a quarter of the cost.

I let him finish and walked away thinking... this guy just doesn't get it.

At the end of the day, you don't put a Ferrari V12 in the body of a VW Golf and call it a day. That is more commonly known as Epic Failure.

When it comes to guitars, I have some fine Warmoths that I will swear to my grave are some of the best six-strings I have ever played. None of them cost more than $2000 individually, all parts included.

If somebody decides to drop $5k plus on a custom Gibson, believe it or not, it is probably not a waste of money. If people choose to buy a guitar from Gibson, then be happy that a business was able to establish such a stellar reputation in the industry. Gibson gets a lot of hate for their $1500 and under guitars, but I think most of it is just the attitude of consumers who like to convince themselves it is not worth it to buy one. Such is life in the sea of choices.
            Cool, cool... Who talked about kit building? Dunno bout the others, but I do get it. It is The Instrument for you and many others. That is perfectly fine. As is the opinion that they are disgusting with their pricing and there is NO WAY that they can add the 6-7k extra value to those things above a 3k cutom guitar built by a skilled luthier. Not from a kit, but from wood, with the same tools and expertise . or even better . than the people at big G. Such is life in the sea of opinions.

Also, have you met the elitist snob sipping golden leaflet infused tea with his pinky pointing towards the sky at that car show?

That being said, if you do decide to order one, I hope that you'll get it fast and the results will pleasing. Because I'm not a d!ckhead, I just have a different opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeAces View Post
              Lol, but I do not want one of the 4 Les Pauls on the wall. That is kinda the whole point. An instrument is, or at least should be, a personalized tool. It should inspire the owner to play it and never want to put it down. It should be everything the player wants it to be with the occasional pleasant surprise.

That kind of experience is priceless. I already have a beautiful bespoke singlecut LP bass custom order placed through a great luthier who frequents this forum (thread coming soon). I have ordered from Warmoth several times as well. I am used to patiently waiting for things I really want
              I agree with you in theory but I've seen it fail in practice a lot. The guy who ordered his cool blue Gibson from me sold it for half what it cost him to get like 6 months after receiving it. Your mileage may vary but there's no guaranteeing you'll like the guitar and by the time you know you'll have spent the time and money. Live your life tho.
              green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

There's no way I'll ever afford a custom Gibson (or even a standard Gibson) in my life...

But I've been wanting a warmoth strat or thinline Tele for many moons .

(What I'm trying to do, is persuade my father to sell me his nice Japan Squier Strat; and then give it a different pickguard, nice pickups, and some other bridge saddles.)

I know some people buy hellishly expensive instruments (or even useless art) just as investments...

but as a broke, playing musician... :/
                If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Working...
                X