banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warmer bridge pickup for Hagstrom Viking (335 style)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warmer bridge pickup for Hagstrom Viking (335 style)

Hey folks, just looking for a humbucker recommendation in my Hagstrom Viking (basically a 335). I'm actually using a set of Railhammers right now, but I'm not sold on them and thinking of going back to regular humbuckers.

I believe the stock pickups are Hagstrom's take on a 50s PAF. I measured the neck at ~7.2k and bridge at ~8.3k. I always thought the bridge sounded a bit weak and compressed, and it had a nasal treble presence that I didn't care for. I'd like something a bit more balanced - not necessarily hotter, just smoother highs and less nasal EQ in general. I'd be using it for some heavier indie/prog music, so it needs to handle cleans and distortion equally.

I'm also open to matching it with a new neck pickup if you have a suggestion, but I think the stock one is good enough.

Thanks for your help!

Re: Warmer bridge pickup for Hagstrom Viking (335 style)

You might try a 59/Custom Hybrid in the bridge, which isn't weak, and still has a PAF-type EQ. It matches well with a 59, Seth Lover, or Antiquity in the neck.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'd personally go with either an Alnico II Pro or Seth Lover set. The Alnico II Pros are rather warm.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. The 59/Custom looks interesting - based on the description I think it might suit my needs.

Comment

Have been using a Jazz neck with the 59/Custom in a Santana SE and they work really well together.

The Jazz seems to have a flatter, smoother, and glossy sound as compared to the 59, I don't have any experience with either the Seth Lover or the Antiquity.

As for the 59/Custom, others can better describe it than I. This pickup is seriously fun to play. It has a slightly higher output and rolls down nicely.
          Last edited by Condemned soul; 06-29-2020, 07:03 PM. Reason: off topic material
          That is not dead which can eternal lie,
          And with strange aeons even death may die.

Comment

Working...
          X