banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Calling all Seymour Duncan Convertible 100w Amp owners!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling all Seymour Duncan Convertible 100w Amp owners!!

Hello everyone

I have been searching for a while now to find a suitable reverb tank for this amp with no luck so far. I’ve tried SD tech support (now answer on email or phone), amplifiedparts, reverb, eBay, etc... anywhere that I could track down an owner and ask. Any response I get is gee I don’t know.

I took out the existing OC elec reverb tank that has never worked and measured it at 1.5 ohm dc resistance input and 180ohms dc output. This matched up closed enough for the very popular 4abc31b tank that goes in every fender, so amplifiedparts recommended me that one. It doesnÂ’t work either. I check voltage at the reverb send at 5mv which may or may not be good? I donÂ’t know!!

After googling the schematic I see that the reverb is actually SS so that leads me to believe the tank would be a higher impedance tank than what was in there previously. Which leads me to this next question:

Do you, or anyone you know, have a Convertible amp?!! Would you please pop out the reverb tank and tell me the model number, or dc resistance?!!

Thanks a ton guys, very nice forum you have here, I hope someone may know.

Re: Calling all Seymour Duncan Convertible 100w Amp owners!!

wish i could help ya. ive played a few convertible amps but dont know anyone that currently owns one to ask

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      wish i could help ya. ive played a few convertible amps but dont know anyone that currently owns one to ask
      Thanks anyhow!

Okay here is a weekly bump, if you or anyone you know can help me please respond, I’m dying without reverb and can’t afford to buy every type until one works aaagh

Comment

The manual only says they use Accutronics 2-spring reverbs. There appear to be only 3 main models: 8ohm (Fender, Marshall, Ampeg), 150ohm (Crate) and 600ohm (Peavey, VOX). The outputs are all 2.25kohm. The only other differences are the decay, medium or long, which is a personal preference.

I would suspect Seymour would use the 8ohm input model (Fender, Marshall), but that's just a stupid wild guess without seeing the original. If you measured 1.5ohm, I have to wonder if your meter was set right, or if that unit has a serious problem. Also, the fact that you replaced the tank and still got no signal off it makes me think the reverb send isn't sending signal to the tank in the first place. I think you need an amp tech to check the wiring inside the amp. It doesn't sound like a reverb tank problem.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
          The manual only says they use Accutronics 2-spring reverbs. There appear to be only 3 main models: 8ohm (Fender, Marshall, Ampeg), 150ohm (Crate) and 600ohm (Peavey, VOX). The outputs are all 2.25kohm. The only other differences are the decay, medium or long, which is a personal preference.

I would suspect Seymour would use the 8ohm input model (Fender, Marshall), but that's just a stupid wild guess without seeing the original. If you measured 1.5ohm, I have to wonder if your meter was set right, or if that unit has a serious problem. Also, the fact that you replaced the tank and still got no signal off it makes me think the reverb send isn't sending signal to the tank in the first place. I think you need an amp tech to check the wiring inside the amp. It doesn't sound like a reverb tank problem.

Well, reverb tanks are rated at impedance which is different that commonly measured dc resistance. So the tanks that are “8ohm” measure 1.5ohms dc resistance. I have two, the one that came with the amp when I bought it, and a replacement of the same value. Neither works. I suspect the circuitry is faulty, because at least one should sound.

I finally got a response from SD support today:

“ My sincere apologies for the slow reply; We've been experiencing a high volume of emails and we're trying to respond to each and every one as soon as possible. Added to that, I have been trying to find the specs on that particular reverb tank, but as we are all working remotely except for those absolutely needed on the production floor, I am not able to access some of this long archived information.

The only thing I have available to me is the original hand drawn schematic, which does not specify the values of the reverb tank.
          I've asked our chief engineer about this amp, but he does not have the information available to him either, as it is all. on site.
          I'm sorry I can't be of further help at this time

Thanks for your patience.”

Comment

Working...
          X