banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did the Gibson Vixen turn into the 2014 Melody Maker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did the Gibson Vixen turn into the 2014 Melody Maker?

Maybe I'm late to the game here but I own a 2014 MM w/ P90's which I got super cheap at the time and still like. It's basically a Les Paul without a top and a real crap finish but super fun to play.

Never heard of the Vixen but just saw one pop-up on craigslist and other than having humbucker routes and different colors it looks exactly the same. Am I missing something here?

Vixen

Reverb is a marketplace bringing together a wide-spanning community to buy, sell, and discuss all things music gear.

MM

2014 Gibson Les Paul with original P90 Routes. The P90S pickups that came in these don't sound so good so they were traded in for some gold foil pickups. sounds great and plays well. average play ware.Upgraded intontatable wraptail bridgeThe bridge pickup sits a bit high due to the left side scre...

Re: Did the Gibson Vixen turn into the 2014 Melody Maker?

Well, the Vixen is only two knobs, so, not exactly the same.

Comment

They do look different enough in Gibsonworld to be 2 different models. I don't understand the price difference, either.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I don't actually know, but it's also possible the body thicknesses are different.
        *******Please check out some of my songs:
        https://www.soundclick.com/bands3/de...bandid=1430296

Comment

The Vixen line was a series of guitars in finishes and weights designed to attract guitar players of the fairer sex.

Comment

I dig both the Vixen and the Goddess series. Both are closer to the Les Paul I might play if I played them.

Comment

I have never seen a Goddess in person so there might be something I don't like about how they feel but I think I would love to own one. I wouldn't turn down a Vixen, either, but I would probably refinish it.

Comment

Why do Gibson think that women are unconcerned with their guitars intonating properly?

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                  Why do Gibson think that women are unconcerned with their guitars intonating properly?
                  It's not like wrap around bridges dont come with adjustable saddles. I have a Gotoh 510 and it works great.
                  sigpic
                  Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
                  Dunlop Crybaby
                  MXR Custom Comp
                  GFS Twin Overdrive
                  Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
                  Blackstar HT-DISTX
                  Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                    Where are you getting that?!

Whether a bottom line guitar has a wrap bridge that is adjustable or not has nothing to do with sex. The LP Jr and MM were not designed for women. I don't think Leslie West is a woman either.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I guess my point was it seems like Gibson has a big pile of thin body LP's in some back room that they trot out every couple of years with a slightly new pickup combination & finish and call it something else. Goddess, Vixen, Melody Maker, LP lite etc.

Goddess & Vixen as names of guitars meant to attract women really shows how male dominated the industry can be. It's like making an extra beefy guitar designed just for the boys and calling it "The Big Hog". Dumb.

Comment

It isn't a bad idea to go after the female market, although I've never known a female guitarist that have been swayed by cutsie names or marketing. I think women want cool guitars just as much as guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          It isn't a bad idea to go after the female market, although I've never known a female guitarist that have been swayed by cutsie names or marketing. I think women want cool guitars just as much as guys.
                          Daisy Rock built a company on introducing girls to music and guitars at a very young age.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                            Daisy Rock built a company on introducing girls to music and guitars at a very young age.
                            Luna does the same thing. I think at a certain point, when they are ready to upgrade, they still look for the same things a guy might want.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                              Where are you getting that?!

Whether a bottom line guitar has a wrap bridge that is adjustable or not has nothing to do with sex. The LP Jr and MM were not designed for women. I don't think Leslie West is a woman either.
                              I forgot the smiley to indicate that I was joking; here it is: That said, the wraparound bridge as used by Gibson does represent a compromise as far as intonation goes. A lot of great music has been written on imperfectly intonated guitars (heck, the entire instrument is arguably imperfectly intonated!); is just struck me as curious that the two models that Gibson have marketed specifically towards women both had them.

Comment

Working...
                              X