Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uneven volume

Hi,

I just got and installed 3 new pickups for strat, first time changing them. Vintage rails neck, duckbuster mid, lil 59 bridge. And I've got this weird thing going on, an uneven volume on strings. The 3 high strings (G,B,E) are noticeably louder than the lower ones (E,A,D). It seems to be isolated for the vintage rails neck pickup, the other two sound good (or at least not so noticeable, not really sure, sometimes it does sound different sometime it doesn't). I tried to chanage the height of the pickup but even when having it totally tilted to one side doesn't help. I changed strings, it didn't help either. I tried to touch the rails with screwdriver and my amp produces louder "thud" sound on the high notes rail. So the volume difference is indeed split in the middle, 3 and 3 strings. It is more noticeable at lower volumes.

Is it the pickup itself? My soldering? Wireing? (I used the diagrams that came in the PU boxes).

I am new to all this.

Advice appreciated, thanks.

Re: Uneven volume

Welcome to the forum!

Can you make sure both poles (the one under the low strings, and the one under the high strings) have output? Gently tap on them with a screwdriver while plugged into the amp. You will hear if they are working.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      Welcome to the forum!

Can you make sure both poles (the one under the low strings, and the one under the high strings) have output? Gently tap on them with a screwdriver while plugged into the amp. You will hear if they are working.
      Hi, thanks,

Yes, they both have output. As I wrote in my initial post, I tried to touch the poles with a screwdriver and the one under high notes strings has louder output. It is just enough to notice while playing.

I would like to add that I have the mexican deluxe strat. It has extra push/push button to add bridge pickup to positions 4 and 5 and when pushed the volume improves but I suspect that it is because of the bridge pickup being active as well.
      Last edited by MichalS; 07-01-2020, 05:28 AM.

Comment

My guess is that it is as you think- it is louder when the button is pushed because the bridge pickup is on. I want to figure out why it wouldn't be as loud while playing, with the bridge pickup off. Could you raise the bass side? The Vintage Rails isn't a loud pickup, but it should be balanced across strings. I don't think wiring could change that, as it either works or doesn't.

Comment

I raised it as much as posible without the strings touching it when played and I lowered the other side to level it with the pickguar. And it is still there, less so but still.

Comment

Just as an experiment...can you wire the neck pickup directly to the jack and see if it is still happening?

Comment

Did that and it is still happening

I tried to do it with the original fender pickup I had and it was OK so I soldered it into the configuration I have now and it works just fine. The sound is bit weird when active together with the other pickups but I suppose that is what it means for the pickups to be out of phase or so I've read. But it sound OK on its own.

So it looks like it is the pickup itself. Could have I damaged it in some way?

Comment

Yes, Fender pickups are out of phase with Duncans, so reverse the hot and ground on the Fender pickup and it should work fine.
                As far as damaging it, I don't think so (generally, it either works or doesn't), but maybe there was an issue before you started. But it does, indeed, sound like the pickup itself rather than something you did...unless someone here has another suggestion to try something else.

Comment

This is where a meter can be your friend. (Even a cheap one.) Ideally, you should measure the ohms on the VR from green to red, and then from black to white. They should both be in the ballpark of 5k.

If you already have green/white/bare soldered together, and black/red soldered together, then it should read approximately 2.5k from ground to the Black/Red hot.
                  Last edited by ArtieToo; 07-02-2020, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                    This is where a meter can be your friend. (Even a cheap one.) Ideally, you should measure the ohms on the VR from green to red, and then from black to white. They should both be in the ballpark of 5k.

If you already have green/white/bare soldered together, and black/red soldered together, then it should read approximately 2.5k from ground to the Black/Red hot.
                    I was thinking the same thing so I borrowed one from my brother today. I am getting 5.1 but I have them already soldered together. I will unsolder them on the weekend and check as you suggested.

EDIT:
                    So I didn't wait. I cut the soldered ends off and made new ones. Green to red gives me nothing. Black to white 5.1.
                    Last edited by MichalS; 07-02-2020, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Dead coil!
                      I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Case closed then. Thank you all for your time and replies.

Out of curiosity. When I had the PU soldered to the guitar and the strings were actually amplified but quieter, was it because the other pole was picking them? Also, when touched with screwdriver, if dead, should it make no sound instead some but quieter?

And, could had I damaged it?
                        Last edited by MichalS; 07-03-2020, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X