EBMM JP6 Dark Sounding?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EBMM JP6 Dark Sounding?

Hey folks! I just got myself a mint condition 2008 JP6.

When I plugged it in to my Orange Tiny Terror through a 1936 Cab with V30s, I noticed the guitar sounded significantly darker than any other guitar of mine (mostly les pauls and Ibanez). I had to turn the TT's tone knob to the right to give it some presence.

Plugging it through a Silver Jubilee and 1960A with G12T-75, it sounded so much better.

Is the JP6 really a dark-sounding guitar?

Sent from my SM-M315F using Tapatalk

Re: EBMM JP6 Dark Sounding?

It's everything in the chain except the guitar. Pickups are the leading culprit.

Comment

Originally posted by fretburner View Post
      Is the JP6 really a dark-sounding guitar?
      Not all are, but yours might be. Depends on the particular guitar.

Additionally, JP voices his pickups a bit on the full/warm side so he can maintain a big, heavy sound in a one-guitar band.

We have no idea what you are comparing it to here, either. Your other guitars may be inherently bright and the JP isn't really as "dark" as it seems. But it's normal to have to adjust the amp a little between different guitar/pickup combos if you're trying to maintain a similar sound.

Comment

The closest guitar to my JP6 is my RG2550 with Steve's Special and Air Norton.

The Ibanez, although also a basswood guitar and Edge Pro trem, sounded brighter in all my amps.

The bridge pup on the JP6, though darker, seemed to have a wider frequency range and more bottom end without getting muddy. Really nice for heavy riffs.

The neck pup though seems too warm and lacking attack. I raised the pups already to 3/32in and still the same. A little bit more attack with a little lesser sustain. My pick attack is still there but there's less bite vs my RG2550.

I also thought I had the crunch lab + liquifire but lo and behold, I had the d-sonic and modded air norton... no wonder it sounded so close to my RG2550.

Sent from my SM-M315F using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
        X