banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue or Princeton Reverb Reissue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: '65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue or Princeton Reverb Reissue?

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
    I personally think the Princeton does two things well: clean and crunch. But not everyone likes the Princeton crunch. It has some farty low end and is kinda nasty sounding, not especially smooth. And Celestion speakers help in my opinion. Not into the Woody, Reedy, American speakers when they break up with the PR.

It does 3 things really well if you count tremolo. The trem on a PR sounds "better" to me, somehow deeper.
    4 things well if you count reverb lol
    Check out what I did above... (coupling cap, speaker, NFB) The reverb and tremolo are pretty nice.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I vote for the DR for reasons mentioned.

The spring reverbs from fender are very delicate. So be careful lugging it around. My pro reverb 1x12 was a glass princess of an amp.

Comment

my old '66 dr is beat to crap but hasnt really given me much trouble at all considering. what issues did your pro reverb have? old blackface or ?

Comment

It does 3 things really well if you count tremolo. The trem on a PR sounds "better" to me, somehow deeper.
          Princeton cleans can be fantastic.

The reverb is great. Not much more needed there I reckon.

It's funny but I bought it thinking that as a general rule I really dislike (don't want to use the word "hate" but getting close) tremolo as an effect and it's the kind of thing I'd only use extremely rarely. It's actually a hell of a lot easier than I expected to use it to improve the overall tone subtly, and I naturally tend to avoid gratuitous effects.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 using Tapatalk

Comment

The Princeton was always my dream amp-

about to buy one, when my neighbor "bietch" stole 800USD of my money (dont ask how)

so I was left to buy a Blackstar. The Blackstar still got some.... tube chime, but not nearly asmuch as the Fender.

it does got a High gain channel though :/

(ml sucks)... ;/
            If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

I've used the Custom Vibrolux, and that was one hell of a loud clean. It was heavy, though, and I would be interested to hear it next to the Custom Deluxe. I dug the Bassman tone stack, and the ability to have reverb on both sides. If I had a regular Deluxe RI, I don't think I'd ever use the normal channel. So, in a sense, I'd be paying for half of an amp I'd never use.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by HoneyBearWombat View Post
                What about the Deluxe? What are its great points?
                It can do loud slightly hairy cleans with reverb and tremolo and if you pick your pedals to compliment the mid scoop you can get great bluesy overdrive tones
                But they like to be loud
                The low volume cleans are good but the good stuff is so kinda loud imo

Comment

I personally think the Princeton does two things well: clean and crunch. But not everyone likes the Princeton crunch. It has some farty low end and is kinda nasty sounding, not especially smooth. And Celestion speakers help in my opinion. Not into the Woody, Reedy, American speakers when they break up with the PR.

Yeah, I said one thing for the Princeton because the overdrive is so loose -not most peoples preferred OD amp -Cleans is Cleanish is what it is legendary for. BUT I've never played a brand new Princeton -I've mostly plained 50s and 60s one/.

I wasn't counting Trem (What they call Vibrato by mistake) and Reverb because they all do it so well.
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

What about the Deluxe? What are its great points?
                    Here's some further color from my experience:

65 Blackface DR Reissue -Vintage vibe -Very Vintage Speaker tones -it has a "sound" in fact if you love that sound and don't need anything else -this one -plenty loud enough for gigs -If heavy vintage vibe and channel switching in tremelo and like reverb and gigging is in your future -this one.

68 Custom Silverface DR Reissue -Versatility and the best with Pedals of the 3 -plenty loud enough for gigs and can make a lot of different sounds -speaker is more neutral than the 2 other options -it is less distinct on it's own compared to the other 2 -if recording lots of different stuff, like using lots of different kinds and gain structures from pedals, and like channel switching for switching tonestacks/channels, and like switching in tremelo and/or reverb and gigging is in your future -this one.

Princeton (Vintage) cool Vintage Vibe -more mellow than DRs -and if the amp never leaves the house and you want creamy vintage clean -it's as loud as you will ever need and can overdrive at lower volumes for recording. I should mention -I've bought and played original and reissue DRS -but I've never played Princeton that isn't at least 20 years old, so someone else would need to speak to the new reissue ones.
                    Last edited by NegativeEase; 07-03-2020, 05:29 AM.
                    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

The tonemaster deluxe reverb might be nice option
                      Having that power soak to get the breakup without dorking the tone much, that would be pretty nifty I should think
                      Saves the trouble of having to replace tubes
                      They are light weight if you like to ever move your amp around the house or go to jam with others

I had an Attenuator when I had a drri and it would have been sweet if it had just come with one built in!

Comment

It is the age-old question. But I am thinking of one or the other for home/studio use. I want excellent clean blues tone at low volume. I realise I won't be able to overdrive them without a pedal, but that's not an issue. Which one do you recommend for beautiful clear tones with a Strat? Does the Deluxe sound great clean at room level?
                        For home use, a Princeton Reverb is all you need.

As for you saying, "I realise I won't be able to drive them without a pedal," you've got it backwards. It's more powerful amps that you will need pedals for, at home volumes. The Princeton Reverb is the king of reasonable-volumed natural dirt.

The Deluxe Reverb is one of the standard studio and gigging amps. But it does break up quite a lot louder than the PR. It's the great gigging amp, while the PR is the great home studio amp.

FWIW, a '68 PR has been one of my main amps for decades...and my father's for decades before I got it. I know them very well. They are pure heaven in terms of tone, but lack rock-band-level volume.
                        Originally posted by LesStrat
                        Yogi Berra was correct.
                        Originally posted by JOLLY
                        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                          Here's some further color from my experience:

65 Blackface DR Reissue -Vintage vibe -Very Vintage Speaker tones -it has a "sound" in fact if you love that sound and don't need anything else -this one -plenty loud enough for gigs -If heavy vintage vibe and channel switching in tremelo and like reverb and gigging is in your future -this one.

68 Custom Silverface DR Reissue -Versatility and the best with Pedals of the 3 -plenty loud enough for gigs and can make a lot of different sounds -speaker is more neutral than the 2 below -it is less distinct on it's own compared to the other 2 -if recording lots of different stuff, like using lots of different kinds and gain structures from pedals, and like channel switching for switching tonestacks/channels, and like switching in tremelo and/or reverb and gigging is in your future -this one.

Princeton (Vintage) cool Vintage Vibe -more mellow than DRs -and if the amp never leaves the house and you want creamy vintage clean -it's as loud as you will ever need and can overdrive at lower volumes for recording. I should mention -I've bought and played original and reissue DRS -but I've never played Princeton that isn't at least 20 years old, so someone else would need to speak to the new reissue ones.
                          Based on this, the Deluxe is the way to go for me. There's a reason why it's the most recorded amp in history. Does it do clean blues well at lower volume (think 3-4 on the master volume)?

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                            For home use, a Princeton Reverb is all you need.

As for you saying, "I realise I won't be able to drive them without a pedal," you've got it backwards. It's more powerful amps that you will need pedals for, at home volumes. The Princeton Reverb is the king of reasonable-volumed natural dirt.

The Deluxe Reverb is one of the standard studio and gigging amps. But it does break up quite a lot louder than the PR. It's the great gigging amp, while the PR is the great home studio amp.

FWIW, a '68 PR has been one of my main amps for decades...and my father's for decades before I got it. I know them very well. They are pure heaven in terms of tone, but lack rock-band-level volume.
                            You are making it tough! They both sound exceptional. I am leaning more toward the Deluxe now because of its history with blues.

Comment

I haven't tried the new Tone Master DR, but a few people who I trust think it sounds great. I'd be interested to hear how it stacks up to the RI and Custom. If I was buying one today, I'd go with the Custom.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I own the 65 DRRI and use it mainly for home use with a couple of telecasters as well as a strat. I generally play a fairly clean and bluesy tone and the amp excels! It takes pedals very well including dirt pedals.

Comment

Working...
                                X